The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:43 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 11 posts
WatchFred wrote:
did not (and still do not) express doubts about the watch, it really looks fine to me, just dared to comment about the valuation :wowzers

Reminds me, my Datora was originally listed at $86k and then to $25k:)..obv bought it for lower than that!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220942759337?ru ... 5946wt_922

and you had discovered it, thanks:)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36757

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:57 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Quote:
Reminds me, my Datora was originally listed at $86k and then to $25k:)..obv bought it for lower than that!

yes ok, but a Datora 785 is usual, not so rare, a 803 is near unique.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:03 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Quote:
For me, at that price of $62494.00, even if was fully verified as original, there are some pretty rare fully verified Rolexes I would pick or a nice Patek:).

Yes of course, please show me where you will find the same Rolex or Patek for this price.

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/watc ... d=&page=14

Rolex. A very fine and rare stainless steel triple calendar chronograph wristwatch
Enlarge & Zoom
Price Realized (Set Currency)

CHF153,000

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:13 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Kailex wrote:
Quote:
For me, at that price of $62494.00, even if was fully verified as original, there are some pretty rare fully verified Rolexes I would pick or a nice Patek:).

Yes of course, please show me where you will find the same Rolex or Patek for this price.

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/watc ... d=&page=14

Rolex. A very fine and rare stainless steel triple calendar chronograph wristwatch
Enlarge & Zoom
Price Realized (Set Currency)

CHF153,000

Well, I would be happy with a low spec Comex for 60-70k:) or a Double Red Sea Dweller Mk3 and MK2 both togather for that much or some rarer Daytonas. Wasn't refering to the Rolex triple calendar chrono (they can sell for even 300k) though you could get some Rolex moonphases or triple dates (not the all in ones) if you looked hard. Or a Patek like this http://www.watchclub.com/w3966/patek-ph ... -gold.html or these http://www.watchclub.com/patek-philippe.html. Remember the ones that sell that high are also very well documented and verified. When playing in that price range, for me, I would need to know I could offload it easily if the need be without taking a huge hit, but that's just me.

Last edited by cruvon on Tue May 15, 2012 3:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:36 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I only would be happy with a Datora or Dato-Compax with a waterproof case, I would not be happy with any simple watch.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:38 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Kailex wrote:
I only would be happy with a Datora or Dato-Compax with a waterproof case, I would not be happy with any simple watch.

Fair enough, so have you decided to buy that 803?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1728 posts
http://youtu.be/ERPe6Z2vGN8

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:30 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Quote:
Fair enough, so have you decided to buy that 803?

Yeah, I wanted to buy this watch, but now I'm totally confused, because watch Fred, rick and michaelsummit in this thread have said that they would find this watch even cheaper.

I hope they keep their promises.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:56 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 626 posts
Fred & Roff What is the highest price you know of that was paid for a vintage Breitling. I saw prices for vintage Rolexes and Pateks quoted previously.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:31 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
rick wrote:
Fred & Roff What is the highest price you know of that was paid for a vintage Breitling. I saw prices for vintage Rolexes and Pateks quoted previously.

Well suffice it to say that I have never seen anything sell for anything close to this. I know of several $20,000 pieces and I am sure that there have been some private sales for higher. My personal opinion on this watch is that it is perfectly genuine, with a price that borders on ludicrous.

I believe that the seller who posted here (Taglio1) is genuine, although he has an unrealistic view of the value of the watch.

I believe that Kailex is perhaps not being so clear with us. Posting from the country that I expected him to be posting from based on suspicions and seems to offer nothing except posts designed to try and be provocative, see also:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=39629

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:34 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Thanks Roff for the info!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:39 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Kailex wrote:
Yeah, I wanted to buy this watch, but now I'm totally confused, because watch Fred, rick and michaelsummit in this thread have said that they would find this watch even cheaper.

Kailex, let me be clear...I was saying I think the asking price is incredibly high for an UNDOCUMENTED watch, regardless of which it is, and I also think it would be dangerous and bordering on irresposible to buy with the amount of money involved from an ebay seller with 0 seller feedback without at least seeing the watch in person and having some kind of protection safety measures in place with the temendous amount of fraud being perpetrated on e-bay and also many other internet sales. Did you want to add this piece to your "museum" so to speak :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:41 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

michaelsummit wrote:
Kailex wrote:

Kailex, let me be clear...I was saying I think the asking price is incredibly high for an UNDOCUMENTED watch, regardless of which it is, and I also think it would be dangerous and bordering on irresposible to buy with the amount of money involved from an ebay seller with 0 seller feedback without at least seeing the watch in person and having some kind of protection safety measures in place with the temendous amount of fraud being perpetrated on e-bay and also many other internet sales. I'm guessing that you think this piece is worthy of being in a "museum" so to speak :wink:

:yeahthat

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
cruvon wrote:
there are some pretty rare fully verified Rolexes I would pick or a nice Patek:).

I dont believe in comparing Rolex or any of the other brands w/ Breitling as a brand and their prices. Even though they used the same movement for the triple calendar and other watches they have a lot different collector base .

Rolex / PP / Vacheron / etc have been the same company since the beginning. They have a much wider collector base w/ better documented watches and the collectors have a much longer 'tradition' of collecting the vintage pieces of the brand and a large amount of verified documentation and books to study from and create demand. All these companies also have a lot of stories they can tell about the brand. 1 Rolex story that always stayed with me as how they sold watches to UK prisoners of WWII in German camps with the letter "We hope you enjoy your watch and trust you will pay for it when you have returned to your country after the war" .. that's just class and has enormously added to the Rolex "value" , at least in my book.

I am not saying that the Breitling pieces we collect and try to collect are not valuable or desirable but its a completely different category and certainly the 'mystique' is not there (yet) . We have all seen an increased interest in Breitling vintage watches but unless some sort of demand (ie books by an authority), tradition, mystique and perceived value (= mostly marketing) is created and verifiable documentation is published in print we will never see prices anywhere close to the other brand prices .

Also the definite lack of interest from Breitling themselves, the inability to restore watches with OEM parts from the manufacturer and their inability to provide authentication documentation that is 100% correct all the time does not help in creating demand either. We've all seen the Spanish and other Breitling collections that have more than a single incorrect piece.

Lets be realistic as well, you need a very wide collector base to drive up the prices , currently there are enough watches to go around to supply every collector with the pieces he/she wants if the collector uses patience, only when there are more than a few dozen serious buyers for each watch the prices will go up. But currently 95% of the vintage pieces can be bought for reasonable prices and if a watch is offered at a price that seems unrealistic or perceived to be an unreasonably high price collectors will wait a few more years until the same watch is offered at a price the market (and collector wallet) will bear. If there's only 1 buyer for a watch that's offered up for sale its buyers market , not a sellers market.

It doesn't really matter how rare a piece is if no one wants to buy it.

Personally I hope it stays that way as I could certainly not afford $75K to $105K for a Breitling , nor would I want to pay that kind of money for a watch made by a company that doesn't exist anymore, I'd rather spend it on a fully documented other brand.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:46 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Hello Dracha, I am agree with you 100%. Therefore, this vintage Breitling are still so cheap, although rare as hell.

But today the Breitling company (even if there is a new company, but the same brand) manufactures top watches and has a large market. If only a handful of new collectors discover vintages, the vintage prices will explode for such rarities. Because I do not think there still exist a lot more than 5 pieces of the Datora 803.

So, a perfect investment for your children instead of a life insurance policy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next