It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:33 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 3 posts
SOLD SOLD SOLD

Breitling Chronomat 44 Airborne

Breitling's flagship model, in my view, the best looking Chronomat, on bracelet, in Sierra Silver. The dial colour is so changeable. Sometimes silver in look, sometimes white, mostly a rich cream which just helps with the vintage inspired look. I think Breitling did a terrible job of the press photographs when this model came out. It always looked like the faux aged lume was over the top, sometimes it even looked pink! The truth is, it's perfect. My photos won't do it justice either, but think a very light mustard and you won't be far off.

Specifications
This was released to celebrate the 30 year anniversary of the Chronomat, and there's some really nice touches to elevate it above the other standard Chronomats.

43.5mm to be precise, and 16.95mm thick, this wears surprisingly well for an aviation inspired watch that doubles as a 500m diver.

The 47 jewel in-house self-winding B01 movement is superb, offering a 70hr power reserve, rapid change date, along with the typical chronograph you'd expect from Breitling and 28000vph.

Unlike most Chronomats with the buck rogers font, this has a much nicer brushed bezel, with rubber increments and the traditional rider tabs have been reinstated - the best looking combination to my eye, and more in keeping with the older Breitling style.

Screw down crown and screw down pushers are all silky smooth and help with the excellent waterproof rating.

One of the best, and most comfortable bracelets around, the pilot is superbly engineered, and suits the head perfectly.

Being Breitling's flagship, the build quality and attention to detail is excellent throughout, and has the fit and finish to match its eye watering price tag.

What's included?
This is a full set complete with the following... Watch, with brand new and stickered Pilot Bracelet, outer box and sleeve, inner box and cushion, electronic warranty card, warranty certification, manual, chronometer certificate and leather sleeve.

This Airborne was supplied in April 2015 meaning that just under 3 years of the 5 year warranty remains.

This is how it wears on my 7.5inch wrist. *Green canvas strap not included

Condition
This is in excellent used condition.

People who have dealt with me in the past know I like my watches clean and tidy, so inevitably, nothing major to report here. For those like me with a certain amount of watch OCD, I try to be extra critical with my description, and then when you receive it, you'll wonder what I was going on about...

This is a predominantly polished watch, so most areas you simply have to look at and they would mark up, but I am very careful with my watches.

The Bracelet is brand new, unworn and all stickers remain in situ.

With the watch head, on the wrist there are no condition implications visible to my naked eye, upon close inspection:

The bezel and sapphire crystal along with the AR coating look immaculate, perhaps some very light marks on the outer polished bezel ring.

The lugs have few very light marks here and there, but light enough that they cannot be picked up in the photos, or even the naked eye unless under strong sunlight. There are no nasty dinks or deep scratches anywhere that I can see.

The case sides also being highly polished have a few inevitable light marks. The kind that are not really made by heavy use, but more by cleaning the watch with a dusting cloth. You know the kind, the marks that you can only see under strong lighting when you go hunting for them and wonder how they got there.

There are a few very tiny impressions on the left side of the caseback, not dinks as such but a few light marks so small that it won't be picked up by the camera, but they are there, caused by coming in to contact with a small bracelet on my right wrist. Again, nothing to worry about but I'm keen to mention.

Overall, a very good condition watch, but light signs of use on the watch head.

For those who have owned a recent Breitling with the electronic warranty card, you'll know how easy it is for the card to pick up impression marks and yellow blotches. This warranty card is no different and is covered in blotches. You can still see the date, and serial number, model etc, but if you would like it to be back to normal, your local Breitling AD can reset the electronic ink easily and for free by hooking it up to their warranty card machine. Again, nothing to worry about, but I like to be thorough.

Functions
Everything is working as it should, and timekeeping is excellent. It is running at around +/- 0 seconds over a 24hr period. I haven't timed it over a week for a more accurate rate, as I'm naturally delighted with the daily as is.

All crown functions are perfect, typical strong feedback from the massive 70hr mainspring, date snaps over at 23.58, chrono pushers work perfectly, and all hands reset to zero.

Price
The watch retails at £7190, I would like £3150.

Price is inclusive of UK postage. I suspect international postage may be more difficult but I am open to your suggestions for secure international postage within the EU.

Of course, a face-to-face is always welcomed for any fellow highlanders or reluctant travellers.

I have positive feedback here on BreitlingSource, and over on TZ-uk, my H&V Hero feedback speaks for itself thanks to many great deals, feel free to have a look.

Looking forward to your PM's.

Cheers, Ross.