Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:08 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
Hi All,
I only recently received this as a trade and although it is exquisite, at 39mm it is just that bit too small for my wrist / taste.
The following advert was expertly written by it’s former keeper and he has done a much better job than I could ever do. So with his permission I have copy and pasted his original advert below.
Take a seat ……….

Up for grabs is a stunning Breitling Chronomat Blackbird, the A13353. The Chronomat is Breitling's 'Flagship' model. The Blackbird was Breitling's 'Stealth' version of the Chronomat, with a terrific all brushed-steel finish to the case and bracelet, as opposed to the high-polish finish of the standard Chronomat.

This version, the A13353, is an 'Edition Speciale' - it's got luminous 3D Arabic numerals rather than batons, the smart 'angular/segmented' bezel, complementary 'angular' style pushers, and the superb 'Pilot Special' bracelet (again, the links are slightly different, with 'harder' angles than on the standard Pilot). It's also COSC certified (the early version of the Blackbird, the A13050, wasn't).

Briefly, it's a full set from 2003, double boxed, with the original stamped Warranty, COSC certificate, Instruction Manual, Authorised Distributors leaflet, Hang Tag and even the Bezel protector.

This Chronometer Certified model, which incorporates the Breitling 25 Jewel Calibre 13 movement (based on the ETA 7750 Valjoux), was officially produced between 1995 to 2004, and was eventually replaced by the 'Big Date' version in 2007. The self-winding movement features 30 Minute and 12 Hour totalizers, a subdial main time Seconds register, with a Central Chronograph seconds hand. It has a 42 hour rated power reserve.

The previous keepers’ watchmaker (Steve, Ryte Time) has inspected the movement, and regulated it. It's running within COSC Specs (consider it within +/-5 seconds per day for the purposes of the sale). He also gave the case and bracelet a gentle rebrush, and they have come up beautifully!

Some Specs and further info can be found here: http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_de ... at_12.html

CONDITION REPORT:

Crystal: The original Sapphire Crystal had two 1mm marks on it, and though tiny, they were just enough to spoil the overall appearance - so I've had a new OEM Spec Sapphire fitted (thanks again to Steve at Ryte Time) - the new Sapphire is in perfect condition, no marks of any kind. The Anti-Reflective coating is perfect. I'll include the original crystal as a 'spare' - it's perfectly usable.

Dial: It's a beauty! It's a proper deep black, with white-framed Sub-registers at 12, 6 and 9. There's a Quickset Date Window at 3, also white-framed. Applied arabic numerals , in a luminous white, 'cut' where sub-registers overlap. Minute marker track to outer of dial, with a 0-100 Scale on the lower section of the raised outer Chapter ring, and a Tachymetre Scale on the upper section. All in immaculate condition. Considering the watch is almost 12 years old, the lume on the numbers is excellent, glows nicely and for a decent spell. Note that the dial appears a little 'blue' in some of my pictures -a combination of my poor photography skills and the AR coating - it really is a rich black 'in the flesh'.

Hands: Hour and Minute hands are white 'Spears' or 'Pencils', with a luminous fill. The central Chronograph hand is a white needle, with a stylised 'B' counterbalance. All excellent, and again, the lume glows nicely, and lasts for a good spell.

Sub-Registers: Main time Seconds recorder at 9, 30 minute totalisator at 12, 12 hour totalisator at 6. The hands on the sub-registers are miniature white 'Swords'. All function perfectly, and 'flyback' correctly.

Case: The case is the classic diver-style, in all satin-brushed steel. It's not huge (39.8mm without Crown), but isn't lost on my 8.3" wrist (with the Crown it's 43.8mm, so wears a little larger than you might imagine). It's deep too, at 14.8mm, so wears quite proud. It's got a very substantial feel, weighing in at a chunky 175 grams on the bracelet, and feels sturdy and solid on the wrist. Condition is excellent. My watchmaker has given the case (and bracelet) an expert rebrush - I can see two tiny 'pinpricks' on the non-crown case side, and no doubt you'd find some negligible 'hairlines' if you really searched for them, and the odd shiny edge, but there are no obvious dinks or other nastiness. I'm struggling to find anything else detrimental. I'm not sure if the bracelet has ever been changed, but I can't see any signs of strap-changing.

Caseback: The caseback is a 15-sided screwback type. Markings are clear, including Model and Serial numbers, again with some tiny hairlines, but nothing obvious, and certainly no obvious scratches or dinks - see photos.

Bezel: There is a unidirectional steel bezel, which turns correctly with 120 nicely ratcheted 'clicks'. As mentioned above, it's the 'angular' or segmented style, specific to this version of the Blackbird. Again, it's in a satin-brushed finish. It has a riveted outer, traditional diver engraved markings, segmented at the '5' increments, with raised riders at the quarters. The chimney (the slim steel border where the bezel meets the crystal) has one or two light scuff marks, nothing deep, just shiny. Lumed 'pip' at 12. Signed in script 'B' on bezel edge at 58. One or two very light marks and hairlines on the bezel, and I can see two tiny 'bumps' to the bezel edge at 24 and 33 - I mention them only for full disclosure, you'd only find them if you're really looking hard, and even then only up close.

Crown/Pushers: Original 3-position screwdown-to-lock 'Pineapple' ridged steel crown, plus two pushers (as mentioned previously, the pushers have an unusual angular aspect to the sides, in keeping with this particular model). Really nice condition, and all work perfectly.

Movement/Running: Steve at Ryte Time inspected this, and he's regulated the movement. It's running well within COSC specs - over the last 24 hours, it's accurate to +/-1 second - consider it within +/- 5 seconds for the purposes of the sale. The Breitling-signed Calibre 13 Automatic movement is in excellent order, and running accurately. All functions work perfectly (date clicks over at midnight, chrono resets to zero etc.). Please note that the watch has not been pressure tested recently - the original Blackbird is rated at up to 100M, but I would certainly advise a full WR test before any immersion in water.

Bracelet: The watch is supplied with its original 'Pilot Special' steel bracelet, in an all satin-brushed finish. The Pilot is up there with the Navitimer as one of the nicest bracelets that Breitling have ever made, and the 'Special' retains that build quality with a nice twist - the links have a harder 'angular' finish to complement the design on the bezel and pushers - I understand that the Pilot Special was only made for the Special Edition Blackbird, so they're quite rare. Fortunately, the bracelet is very large on this (will comfortably fit up to an 8.5" wrist (215mm), so you won't be trying to find spare links unless you have wrists like King Kong. My watchmaker has given this a sympathetic rebrush, and it really does look terrific. Of course, there are some hairlines as you would expect after nearly 12 years, but nothing nasty or obvious, and no nicks or flat spots. Indeed the bracelet feels very 'tight' and solid, another tribute to the build quality of these.

Clasp: The double-fold-over clasp is in very nice condition - again, gently re-brushed by my watchmaker. There are one or two light 'desk-diver' marks as you might expect, but really nothing more than you'd pick up in light daily wear, certainly nothing horrendous. It's signed (logo and wording remain clear and defined). There are four 'micro-adjustment' settings on the clasp for that perfect fit.

Box/Papers: Full set as follows: Outer Yellow/Silver Box; Bakelite Black Box with display cushion; Yellow Document wallet; Instruction Manual; COSC Certificate; Original Warranty Booklet (dated 31 July 2003, and Dealer stamped); Authorised Distributor's leaflet; Bakelite Box leaflet; original Hang Tag with watch details; Bezel Protector. The yellow outer box is in good condition with minor marks. The Bakelite box is very good, though the hinges feel 'free' (not uncommon on these!). Everything else is pretty much mint.

Measurements: Width (without Crown): 39.8mm. Thickness: 14.8mm. Lug-to-lug: 46.7mm. Lug Width 20mm. Weight (on Bracelet) 175 grams.

Other: The Chronomat is your definitive Breitling watch, and the Blackbird, intended to be the 'stealthy' version, with it's deliberately understated finish in satin-brushed steel, is a lovely watch. This 'Edition Speciale', with the applied Arabics, the unusual 'angular' affectations to the Bezel and Pushers, and the complementary 'Pilot Special' bracelet is a lovely example.

I know that the previous owner only wore it sparingly, which is reflected in the condition - the watch is coming up to 12 years old, but even if I say so myself, the condition on this one is remarkably good. I've been very thorough in my description, and if anything I tend to be over-critical. If you've read this far, you'll know it's not totally mint, but I'd be surprised if you could find a similarly aged model in as nice order as this.

On the 'bay, the cheapest of those listed that I could find was the standard version, no Box/Papers, and on a rubber strap, and the seller is asking £1325 (plus £350 Import Duty!). A non-COSC version on a generic strap is up for £1610. After that, you're looking at north of £1800, and none as nice as this one, or with the original box and paperwork.

I am going to put this up for an extremely reasonable £1599. The price includes Next Day Special Delivery for UK Forum members - It's a heavy package (@1kg) and will cost me about £14.00 to post. If you're overseas, you will need to contact me for exact Shipping costs based on destination - I'd guess £25 for Western Europe, up to a maximum £40 extra for Asia/Australia.

I reckon that's an extremely good deal for someone out there, so the price is firm. Trades/PX offers welcome – Just try me!

I'd prefer payment by BT. PayPal if absolutely necessary, or for overseas, but no PayPal Gifts. So if you want to use PayPal, it'll be via the 'official' route, and you'll need to add 3% to contribute towards Fees.

If I've missed anything, you'd like more info or pics, please feel free to PM me.

Si

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:39 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 5 posts
This was my watch previously, and it really is a beauty.

Si is a top chap to deal with too.

Mike

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:20 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 14 posts
Reviving this old thread: I wished to see the pictures but they are not available anymore :(
BTW what happened to the Blackbird finally?
Thanks,
Robert

For sale: Sinn 356 II, Porsche Design Titan Chrono Valjoux
Wanted: Breitling Blackbird 13353 on bracelet