The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:47 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post

Up for sale is this beautiful circa 1950s IWC Schaffhausen large men's dress watch in solid 18k Pink Gold. This great vintage IWC features the legendary hand-winding caliber 89 and the most pristine and Near Mint original factory printed dial and barely-worn case you are likely to find. The modern-sized 37mm wide case features the most desirable shape for these great manual dress IWCs, with wide flared "Ribbon" or "Shark Fin" lugs. These lugs are super sharp and never repaired or bent, as so many are. To put the cherry on top of this elegant museum-quality classic, this watch was just completely overhauled by my NYC Master Watchmaker and comes with a 6-month movement warranty for all normal, non-abusive use.

The asking price for this amazing original example of classic IWC dress watch with fantastic case and wonderful original dial is $2350 USD, which includes fully insured shipping FedEx worldwide. Payment by Bank Wire or Paypal eCheck preferred. Payment by standard Paypal instant transfer also OK with split fees (+2% to the buyer). Other payment options upon application. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting.

>>>Click Here for Large Dial Scan<<<

CASE, CASEBACK & BEZEL: Large flared-lug 3-piece case in solid 18k Pink Gold measures an impressive 37mm x 43mm. There are barely any marks on the case and whatever there is would almost fall into the category of "shop wear" rather than signs of use. The original factory machining is present on the snap in caseback, which I have never seen before--wow! The press on bezel is likewise nearly blemish free. Even by my strict standards, I have to rate this case as Near Mint. There is a hallmark on the side of the case for solid gold directly adjacent to the top right lug. This is undoubtedly the nicest case I have ever come across on this lovely classic from IWC. I am not easily impressed but this really is a remarkable survivor.

DIAL & HANDS: Original factory-printed quarter-Arabics silver dial with matching pink gold minute track dots is absolutely Near Mint with only the faintest signs of age apparent under a powerful loupe. It is really very difficult to find a 60-year-old IWC snap back dress watch with an original dial in this kind of superlative condition. Pink Gold faceted "Alpha" hour and minute hands are Excellent with just a touch of oxidation, as is the baton sweep seconds hand.

CROWN: The correct unsigned knurled PG crown winds shows a bit of dulling but fits beautifully close when pushed in and winds the watch with very firm action. Of course, it also pulls out to the time setting position as it should.

CRYSTAL: Domed acrylic crystal looks basically scratch-free and brand new and so is Mint.

MOVEMENT: Legendary IWC caliber 89, one of the great manual wristwatch movements ever created--the hacking version of this same engine can be found in the famed RAF Mark XI. As stated above, my watchmaker has just fully overhauled this great movement and it is keeping great time with a strong power reserve and ready to wear & enjoy for years to come. Normally, I would open the back to take pictures of the movement and inner caseback markings but with a back this virginal, I simply did not have the nerve to risk scratching it up. Guaranteed to be all correct under the hood with a beautiful IWC cal. 89 ticking away or your money back! :)

BAND: This great IWC comes on a very nice vintage-style light brown Italian-made Band-It genuine lizard strap with yellow Inox buckle in Near Mint condition. This watch takes straps with 18mm ends.

I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form.

This great Vintage IWC is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer. This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
T.
tomvox1@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:22 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

So I see this piece has come to haunt me on BS as well... :wink: Beautiful beautiful piece.

GLWS Tom.

Post subject: ON HOLD. Best, T. nt
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:51 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

nt