It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Clasp closing issue
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:34 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
Hello!

6 weeks ago i bought my self my very first Breitling. It's a Superocean heritage 42 with blue bezel and white face. I absolutely love it, particularly the mesh bracelet which was one of the features that really sold it to me.

However, after having it only a week i began to notice that the when closing the clasp, scratches where beginning to appear on the 'lip'. I tried to ignore it for a week but noticed that the scratches where continuing to appear. Having paid so much money, and when I was trying so hard not to mark it myself, the fact that it was marking itself after only a couple of weeks was a bit upsetting. I rang the jewellers I had bought it from and arranged for them to take a look at it. They buffed the marks out and said that 'this just happens with all of this style Breitling clasps'. Is this the case?

Since the jewellers returned my watch to me I have kept an eye on the marks and they have continued to appear. As you can see in the attached picture. It is almost like the clasp is too tight and catching the clasp every time I close it. If these marks were appearing after 6 months I would be disappointed but maybe put it down to wear and tear, but not after only 6 weeks.

Has anyone had any similar experiences with their Breitlings? Does this happen with all Breitling clasps? Is it to be expected and I am just being over precious about it? Might there be an issue with how I'm closing it? I'm really not sure.

I thought it would be good to get some other opinions before I talk to Breitling directly.

Many thanks in advance!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Clasp closing issue
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:26 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
All of my Breitling's that are regularly worn with this style clasp has pretty much the same wear under close examination. I consider it normal wear.

samratcliffe1992 likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:30 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 8 posts
My Seawolf clasp shows the same kind of wear. It also started when the watch was brand new so I also think it just goes with the territory. Jmho.
Kevin

samratcliffe1992 likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:58 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 844 posts
Question, are you closing the main clasp first and snapping it closed, I have seen people using that safety latch to close the main clasp and that will mark it up big time, just make sure the main clasp is down tight before you close the smaller safety latch. If you are then the second latch should never hit the main clasp, and it's probably just everyday wear and tear.

1 Super avenger night mission
1 Limited edition chronomat Boston Celtics
Navitimer GMT
Transocean Chronograph Unitime
2 Omega planet ocean chronographs
1 Tag heuer Monaco

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:12 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
Watch nut wrote:
Question, are you closing the main clasp first and snapping it closed, I have seen people using that safety latch to close the main clasp and that will mark it up big time, just make sure the main clasp is down tight before you close the smaller safety latch. If you are then the second latch should never hit the main clasp, and it's probably just everyday wear and tear.

Thanks all.

Watch nut - I've never closed the clasp using the safety latch, but i will make sure the main clasp is fully down in future.

It's good to hear that you all have had experienced similar with your watches.

Watch nut likes this post.