The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:45 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi, first time poster, long time lurker...

About to make to leap on a new B50 from my local Dealer, I'm looking at the Black Titanium B50, but I'm told (and supported by the Breitling website) that it is only available with the Diver Pro III or the Canvas Anthracite straps. Im really keen on the black mesh style bracelet, listed on the Chronospace Military model page of their website, the strap I want is technically called "Ocean Classic: Black", but I think most would know it as the Black Mesh. Now the size "looks" to be the same - 24/20mm inter horn. Is it as simple as buying the additional Mesh strap and replacing the rubber one, or is there something I'm missing here?

I don't like the rubber straps on watches due to "sweating" underneath between the strap and skin.

Thanks

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:09 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 3 posts
Of course it will fit, but an expensive option buying seperately if the local dealer was willing to give you the chance of doing so. I don't know where you're based, but the black mesh RRP is £925 in the UK.

The B50 is black titanium, and the black mesh is steel, so I'd be uncomfortable with the steel rubbing against the titanium lugs.

You may also be surprised that the colour may not match. From memory, black steel is a darker shade than the black titanium, but you'd need to check them side by side.

The latest Pro III rubber has been redesigned on the inside with a concave channel, creating an air gap between strap and wrist, intended to reduce the sweating you're worried about.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:23 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Thanks so much for the info. Sorry I'm in Australia.

Had not thought about the steel rub issue, that could well be a show stopper.... Might just learn to love rubber... :shock:

Final question, is the rubber strap reinforced internally, particularly around the pins? I would be worried about the rubber breaking around the pins (where I assume it would be the thinnest) should I snag the watch on something. Lots of snags around a helicopter!

Thanks again

SS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:46 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 3 posts
Looking around the spring bar area on my Breitling rubber straps, I wouldn't say it looks as if the area has been reinforced, but it really doesn't look to be a weak area at all either. I would say it's totally fit for purpose and would be surprised to see a failure around that area.

If there's plenty of snags, I'd worry more about the black coating on the watch, rather than the strap. Is a Black Steel or Black Titanium finish best for you on the basis that the coating may be subject to loads of wear? Personally, I'd hate to see chipped or worn coating with the base metal underneath, when a normal titanium or stainless steel may age better.

I hear the black coating does hold up pretty well though, so simply down to what you think is best. Good luck with it :thumbsup:

scott summers likes this post.