The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:04 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hi, I have a Navi World which is currently on a croc strap. I wanted to put my SS bracelet back on so I brought it in to the dealer to get them swapped. Unfortunately, they said they weren't able to remove the croc strap without cutting it off because there isn't enough clearance between the tube and the pin. Has anyone ever run into this before? Are there any other options to get the strap off?

Thanks!
Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:38 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Find an AD who knows what they are doing. You need (or they need) a Bergeon 6767F and a little patience.

jfdomega likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:04 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 844 posts
I use the sharp thin blade on my little yellow Breitling knife, usually comes off pretty easy, and like Roff said, you need patience. Good luck

1 Super avenger night mission
1 Limited edition chronomat Boston Celtics
Navitimer GMT
Transocean Chronograph Unitime
2 Omega planet ocean chronographs
1 Tag heuer Monaco

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:51 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
kdunic wrote:
Hi, I have a Navi World which is currently on a croc strap. I wanted to put my SS bracelet back on so I brought it in to the dealer to get them swapped. Unfortunately, they said they weren't able to remove the croc strap without cutting it off because there isn't enough clearance between the tube and the pin. Has anyone ever run into this before? Are there any other options to get the strap off?

Thanks!
Kevin

Wow' find a real watch repairer that knows what he is doing. cut off the strap? really???

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:39 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
Was this a Breitling AD? If so, things have definitely gone downhill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:05 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
kdunic wrote:
Unfortunately, they said they weren't able to remove the croc strap without cutting it off because there isn't enough clearance between the tube and the pin.

What kind of an AD comes out with something as ludicrous as that?! There is ALWAYS enough "give" in a leather strap (be it croco, calf, shark, whatever) to get a 6767F between it and the lug. Always.

EDIT - just a thought : OP, you say "between the tube and the pin". Has the strap been fitted with a Panerai style metal tube inside the spring bar hole at the end of the strap, with the spring bar running inside it? If so, then yes you WILL struggle to remove it as the Navi World doesn't have drilled lugs, and you can't remove straps fitted with tube without it. If that's the case then the AD is probably right, but if the word "tube" was just a figure of speech meaning the hole in the leather that the spring bar runs through, then your AD is talking garbage.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:36 pm 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
Driver8 wrote:
kdunic wrote:
Unfortunately, they said they weren't able to remove the croc strap without cutting it off because there isn't enough clearance between the tube and the pin.

What kind of an AD comes out with something as ludicrous as that?! There is ALWAYS enough "give" in a leather strap (be it croco, calf, shark, whatever) to get a 6767F between it and the lug. Always.

EDIT - just a thought : OP, you say "between the tube and the pin". Has the strap been fitted with a Panerai style metal tube inside the spring bar hole at the end of the strap, with the spring bar running inside it? If so, then yes you WILL struggle to remove it as the Navi World doesn't have drilled lugs, and you can't remove straps fitted with tube without it. If that's the case then the AD is probably right, but if the word "tube" was just a figure of speech meaning the hole in the leather that the spring bar runs through, then your AD is talking garbage.

Even so, can they not cut through the spring bar without too much damage to the strap?
It was not on a Breitling watch but I've done it myself before when the spring bar pretty much seized up and just would not come out without cutting through it. An amature without proper tools yet I managed to get it done with minimal damage to the strap. Surely an experienced watchmaker with proper tools can get it done.
I suspect the AD does not have a proper watchmaker, very common these days. One or two of the sales lads just know how to change straps and size bracelets.
Take it to a proper watchmaker.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:55 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
wessa wrote:
Even so, can they not cut through the spring bar without too much damage to the strap?

Yeah, you're probably right Wessa, although personally I'd be panicking about scraping the lugs with the hacksaw blade if I was trying to slide it between the lugs and a very tight strap myself. But I agree it probably shouldn't be beyond the ability of a watchmaker with appropriately small tools though.

I hope the OP comes back to tell us the outcome as I'm curious about this now!

Site Moderator