The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 3 posts
The new OMEGA Master Co-Axial 8400 movement is available (November 2014) in the Seamaster 300. Also new, the Master Co-Axial 8500 and 8520 movements, now available in the Aqua Terra, with anti-magnetic technology that distinguishes these calibres from the previous 8500 and 8520 Co-Axial movements. My question is, what is the difference between the Master Co-Axial and the non-master? Is there something different in the co-axial escapement, or is it the anti-magnetic properties of the movement that sets the two apart?

From OMEGA's website: http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/watchmaking/baselworld-2014?xtor=ADI-2467#!/seamaster-300-master-coaxial
"Self-winding movement with Co-Axial escapement for greater precision, stability and durability. Resistant to magnetic fields greater than 15,000 gauss.
Free sprung-balance with silicon balance spring, two barrels mounted in series, automatic winding in both directions to reduce winding time."

"This self-winding movement has a time zone function and a three-level escapement wheel and, making use of the world premiere anti-magnetic technology
the brand introduced in 2012, resists magnetic fields greater than 15,000 gauss."

From A Blog To Watch: http://www.ablogtowatch.com/omega-seamaster-300-master-co-axial-watch-hands/
The author says "Master Co-Axial" is the name for the company's new pieces that bring together OMEGA's existing co-axial in-house movements with the new anti-magnetic technology. So I know I may be answering my own question, but I wanted to check with the experts.

Thanks!

dams-r-us

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:37 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
It is the antimagnetic properties.

Master coaxial uses silicon for the balance spring, non magnetic steel for the plates, something called Nivagauss (proprietary) for the arbors and "amorphous material" for the shock absorber spring.