Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Starliner Review
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:01 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Well, I've had my Starliner for a few weeks now and I thought I might jot down a few thoughts in case anyone was considering one before they disappear from ADs completely, perhaps with Christmas in mind?

I can wholeheartedly recommend this watch, but here are some more detailed thoughts... Please excuse the quality of the photographs, I'm using my iPhone in artificial light, and due to the shine of the bracelet, trying to take a photo without getting yourself reflected in the image is bloody difficult!

Movement/Precision

The movement in the Starliner is the B71 SuperQuartz, which is also in the replacement for the Starliner, the Galactic 30. I can see why; in terms of precision it's pretty good. Tested against a digital atomic clock (god bless the iPhone) over 72 hours, my Starliner lost less than 0.5 of a second.

Case & Bracelet

The watch is waterproof to 100m, and has a pushdown, not screwdown crown (which is not what I was told when I bought it, and spend five minutes fruitlessly turning the crown in the safe position and wondering if it was unscrewed yet). I have to admit I have not personally tested the waterproofing of the watch because I am cowardly, and the model is now discontinued, but I have no reason to believe that it doesn't do what it says on the tin.

The case is flat and not curved, but as this watch is only 30mm, that isn't going to pose a problem for anyone; my wrist is absolutely tiny (5.5") and I find it sits extremely comfortably to the point where I often forget I'm wearing it. It's about 84g with the integrated pilot bracelet , which I think is just right; it has enough heft that it feels substantial and of good quality, but it does not weigh heavily on even the daintiest of wrists.

Every model I've seen has had the highly polished, integrated Pilot bracelet, so I don't think they were offered on anything else. I've had the watch for about three weeks now during which time I've worn it most days, and while there are plenty of obvious smudgy fingerprints and a few teeny scratches, there's nothing serious and it doesn't detract from the look of the bracelet. It's a very comfortable bracelet with several adjustment options for the smaller-wristed, which is very beneficial for a ladies' watch, and the closure feels high-quality and very secure.

Dial

I have the blue mother-of-pearl version, which has batons rather than arabics or roman numerals (as the Galactic 30 does), and a double baton at the top. There are three bands of guilloche markings at the left, right, and center, with plain bands between them, which adds a nice level of detail to the face without looking busy.

The silver wings Breitling logo is underneath the 12 o'clock position, the date window is in place of the 3 o'clock baton, and COSC info is just above the 6 o'clock baton, along with the waterproofing information (100m).

Outside the batons, each hour-marker has a lumed dot, and outside of that again, there's an additional ring with 24 hour markings on it, although the watch doesn't have a 24-hour clock, it is a nice little feature. The hour and minute hands are slender, pointed, and lumed, and the seconds hand has the traditional Breitling B at the end.

The Starliner has a domed sapphire crystal, and while I find in photographs there is often glare/reflection, I've never had a problem reading the face in person. If you angle it enough, you can create a little distortion, but it won't stop you from reading the time and if anything, it just magnifies the little 24-hour markers.

Bezel
The Starliner has the older, more classically stled bezel which is uni-directional (so far as I can tell) and turns counter-clockwise. There's a lumed dot at the 12 o'clock/0° spot, a rider tab at 15, 30 and 45 min markers, with Arabic numerals at all five-minute markers bar 12 o'clock, and an individual minute mark. On the outside of the bezel, it has little screw-head markings, each at a different angle of rotation, which is a lovely feature. The little Breitling B is between the 12 and 11 o'clock positions.

My only complaint is that the bezel is the unidirectional nature means that if you want to turn it for any reason (such as, for example, because a hair from your sweater is caught underneath it), you have to do a full 360° rotation to get it back to where it should be, and if you miss the right spot (which is quite easy to do), you have to go around all over again. I also find mine to be a teeny tiny bit stiff, but perhaps that's from infrequent use and it will loosen up a little with time. The noise when rotating is hugely dependent on where you're applying pressure and can vary from a satisfying click to a weird sort of tinny sound.

Overall Impression

I love this watch to bits. It's my first Breitling, but the quality and styling ensure that it certainly won't be my last. The attention to detail is superb, and it's both feminine and sporty. It's my daily go-to watch right now, but I would feel equally comfortable wearing it to most evening occasions just as well.

My only complaint is that the highly polished surface means that it needs to be cleaned/rubbed daily to keep it from picking up fingerprint marks, but you're going to get that with any polished steel bracelet, and that's what gives it its distinctive character.

Post subject: Re: Starliner Review
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:28 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Nice review - we need more members of the fairer sex reviewing their pieces :lingsrock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:56 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Great review and don't worry about the finger prints. My pilot bracelet gets a few fingerprints when I put it on which I wipe, and none till I take it off again. Only have to wipe them once a day. No big deal!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:02 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Thanks, guys. :)

Justin-- I am a chronic "fiddler" though. I fiddle with everything (my watch, my hair, my necklace, pens, teacups, whatever), so anything I own invariably ends up covered in prints... Was very relieved to be able to pick up a leather cover for my iPhone so it didn't have the same problem...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:18 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 2 posts
Very nice review of a very nice watch Ms Anez.

Obviously I will never buy one of these for myself and my wife has told me not to buy her any more watches, but I still enjoyed your review.

Thanks.

Please visit my Watch Blog at http://www.AndrewMichaels.co.uk

******Our new Pre-owned watch site www.amjwatches.co.uk is now live*****

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:29 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 5 posts
Great review and nice pics! Be sure to do a review of 'ling no. 2 as well! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:32 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Where can you get this beauty? I've been searching for this all over the place for my wife. :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:14 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
nbnguy98 wrote:
Where can you get this beauty? I've been searching for this all over the place for my wife. :(

They are still available fairly easily through ADs. If you are in the US contact BUSA and ask them for the nearest AD to you that has stock. Not all distributors have that data to hand, but BUSA can certainly help.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:53 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

:D honest but detailed.

Breitling Windrider
Bentley for Breitling

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 24 posts
Great review Anez.

Thanks for shareing.

Enjoy your Breitling :cheer: and good luck in your hunt for your next one! :lol:

:lingsrock:

Breanach78

A Few Breitlings.