It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Colt II Review
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:25 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
The story:

Well, let me just start off by saying that it took me a little while to decide on this watch but I'm glad I did. This is considered Breitling's "entry level" watch. It's one of the less expensive models but that actually wasn't a major factor when I was buying it. I tried on a plethora of models at my AD and because of my tiny wrist I was very limited. I eventually decided to go with the Colt II automatic. The super ocean steelfish was too big for me at 44mm, the regular super ocean was nice but I'm not a huge fan of the number dials. Being brought up on Rolex's, the stick marker dials are right up my alley - simple, elegant and classy and at 41.10 mm the Colt II was a great fit for my small wrist.

The packaging:

Nothing special here, just the normal bakelite box. Really love the portable carrying case that comes in it. It's great for when you're going on vacations and need a small, compact case to store your watch. The usual COSC certificate, warranty, manual and hangtag are all stored in a compartment beneath the bakelite box.

The case:

The Colt II auto has a beautiful polished case which contrasts nicely against the brushed bezel and polished rider tabs. The case sits in at 90.20 grams (I believe this is on the leather band). And its not that chunky on the wrist, with a thickness of 12.40mm it's significantly slimmer than the Steelfish. it has a screw down crown with two gaskets and is good down to 500m (1,650ft). The bezel is unidirectional. The Colt II automatic (with a diameter of 41.10mm) is just a hair bigger than it's GMT brother which sits in at 40.50mm.

Dial:

The dial on the Colt II is spectacular. I was originally going to get the silver dial, but at the last second I changed my mind and went with the black dial. I have no regrets. I like being able to see the AR a little bit and on silver or white dials the AR does not seem to show through as much. The dial is very minimalist but needless to say, less is more! One of the best features on the Colt II are the oversized hands which make for very easy readability. Again one of the main attractions for me was the stick marker dial which I happen to really like. The dial treatment includes a guilloche pattern with contrasting grooves which really pops and makes this one quite the looker. The sapphire is double AR coated and it has a blue/purple hue to it making the dial appear blue at certain angles. Because of the heavy AR coating, the sapphire 'disappears' which allows the dial to show it's beautiful details. . The super luminova on the Colt is also very good. After being out in the sun for a little while, the hand's and index's glow like light sabers. Right below the triangle index at 12 lays the signature Breitling applied wings logo. Another thing I really like is the shallow rehaut. Not deep-dish like the skyland and other models.

Bracelet:

The Colt II comes on the Pro II bracelet and it's one of the most comfortable bands i've worn. It feels a little better on the wrist than the pilot band on my blackbird. I recommend everyone read the "biasing you're bracelet" article, when the clasp is centered to the middle of the bracelet it affords the highest level of comfort. The only downside, which holds true to most Breitling's is that the all polished bracelet collects scratches and swirls very easily. I like to keep my watch's looking new all the time so it's a constant battle to keep that mirror finish. Cape cod cloth's tend to do the trick. I'd say the pro II bracelet is a huge improvement over the Pro I and the fighter bracelet. I personally like the flatter look, along with the fully polished surface. Some people say that the Pro I is more comfortable but I would actually disagree with that. Though it all comes down to personal preference, to each their own.

Movement:

The Colt II automatic is powered by Breitling's workhorse COSC certified caliber 17 movement @ 28,000 v.p.h (25 jewels). It has a 40 hour power reserve, 2 less hours than its GMT counterpart - not a big deal though because when it's not on my wrist it's on the winder. So far, it's been keeping excellent time.

Conclusion:

Overall, the Colt II is a great watch. The Colt II automatic demonstrates an extreme aesthetic sophistication with a level of finishing and concern for detail that's rarely seen in the "entry level" product category. I personally think that it's a step above "entry level" as the Colt II quartz is one of their least expensive models. The Colt was initially developed for the armed forces, and has a reputation for reliability, precision, and functionality. For people with small wrists like myself, the Colt II is a great watch and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for anyone who's on a tight budget. The Colt II goes great with most everything whether its a suite, sweater or T-shirt. Personally, I fray away from Breitling's quartz models. For those who want a simple, classy watch the Colt II automatic is a great option.

Last edited by UB77 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:31 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
Great review :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:39 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Great write up! Thanks for the review! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:16 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Excellent review :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:46 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

A great review - you spent some time on that, we appreciate it.....watch looks great.....a candy look to it....wear it in good health TC :roll:

Breitling Super Avenger Blue, Super Avenger White, Seawolf Yellow, Chrono Avenger, Rolex Date Just, Bolova Accutron, Seiko Kinetic GMT, Citizens Nighthawk + Skyhawk, Luminox EVO 117 Nighthawk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Great review! Lots of time and effort put into that one.
You made a great choice. Maybe the Colt models are considered "entry level", but they still make most other brands pale in comparison. I am a big fan of the entire Colt line, my first Breitling was a Colt in the early 90's. I wore it every day for about 7 years, then traded it in for a SuperOcean at my AD, and he gave me $400.00 more than what I had paid for it!
A couple months ago, I was considering the Colt, ended up getting the Steelfish instead. I just loved the dial on it, and was just right for my wrist. I agree with you about the PRO II bracelet, very comfy, moreso than the PRO I which I had on the SuperOcean. I read that you also have a Blackbird, which is also one of my favourite Breitlings. I actually tried one and considered it for my 60th birthday in a couple of years, but a Blacksteel showed up at my AD so I got that. Maybe one day I will have a Blackbird, though.
Thanks again for the great review. You are obviously very passionat about that watch.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:20 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

GREAT REVIEW and choice. Looks great on your wrist!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:07 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

UB7 my friend,good review....all we need is a wristcheck thread with your Colt and my SA.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Truly excellent post! Well done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:07 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Great review.

I've just suggested to Admin that we have a new section on here for reviews, as I reckon it'd be great to have all reviews in one place as handy reference point.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:54 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

excellent idea driver8 just as it is an excellent review...keep it up guys

Time is precious, keep it with elegance!
-Alien13-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:27 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Nice review UB77! Getting a nice Breitling collection now!

Post subject: Nice review
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:15 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I just bougt the colt quartz today (and joined this forum) and I dont see much difference in the two models. My model is the cheapest so I guess it's a great "startup model".

Anywho - great review on the Colt 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Great review, very informative!!

Panerai 112, Black Leather (Soon Hopefully!)

:fulllingclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:15 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Great pics, and great review of a great clean looking watch.

Coral Club Founding Father
:coralclub: