Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Broken Stem?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:24 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 97 posts
A few days ago, I was winding my Navi 01 when--suddenly--I heard a snap sound and felt the crown turn without any resistance. Since then, it seems the crown is somehow disengaged, and I no longer hear the sound I'd normally hear when winding the watch. I can still pull the crown out to both positions, and the second position still stops the watch, but turning the crown no longer winds the watch, changes the date, or changes the time.

I brought the watch to the NYC Boutique. When I dropped it off, I told them that the watch was just serviced (the "basic" ~$200 one) in 2015. The 2015 bill included a $30 charge for a new crown, so I hoped that they could just install another crown to fix my issue (the watch otherwise ran well, at about +2 seconds per day). Breitling, however, didn't present that option or even say I could have another "basic" service. Instead, they told me that my watch must be fully overhauled, to the tune of ~$800. They also told me that the movement has a low amplitude, which I find odd considering that they serviced my watch just three years ago.

Does their response sound right? If it is, is it reasonable for me to ask for a "good will" discount, given that they last serviced it only three years ago?