It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Old Navi 2 question
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:05 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi everybody,

I have recently been fortunate enough to have found a beautiful Old Navi 2 from around the late 90's as I understand it.

It was of course pre owned, by a collector who apparently barley ever wore it. It is in practically mint condition.

After reading ALOT online I still haven't been able to find a good answer to my questions and hope someone here could help.

My questions are as follows:

1. The old navitimer 2 (Ref a13022) as I understand it runs on the Valjoux 7750, I would like to know how you would rate the build quality and in general of this movement?

I understand it is not COSC, by in what way does is differ from the in house, post 2002 Navitimer?

Is the difference worth going for a newer model?

2. What would you think is a good price for such a watch and do you reckon it will keep it's value for a year or two until I upgrade?

Pheeeww.. sorry, that was long!

Thank you so much for any response and help:)

pics.
https://ibb.co/kbpBdK
https://ibb.co/c2Ca5z
https://ibb.co/i81eXe

Post subject: Old Navi 2 question
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:30 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
Navi wrote:
1. The old navitimer 2 (Ref a13022) as I understand it runs on the Valjoux 7750, I would like to know how you would rate the build quality and in general of this movement?

It's a workhorse movement that is used successfully and reliably in many watches by many reputable brands.

Navi wrote:
I understand it is not COSC, by in what way does is differ from the in house, post 2002 Navitimer?

That question is messily worded, so not entirely certain what you are asking. However, if you want to know the difference between the two movement, that’s a big question that will require a fairly extensive understanding about watch movement architecture. Your best best is to do some reading on watch movement development.

Navi wrote:
Is the difference worth going for a newer model?

I do not believe the differences in the movements is worth paying the extra money for, but opinions will vary. Some will say they don’t like watches unless they have an in-house movement. Of course, not all mid-tier watch brands had in-house movements in the past, mainly due to cost of development. To this day, Breitling still uses out-sourced movements for many of their references.

Navi wrote:
2. What would you think is a good price for such a watch and do you reckon it will keep it's value for a year or two until I upgrade?

The price of secondhand goods in market driven, and that is true for watches too. Check listing prices on watchrecon and Chrono24 to get an idea, and look for completed sales on eBay to see what price these have sold for in the last 60 days.

Most of the value of this reference was lost or gained years ago, so if you buy at a reasonable price and keep it in close to the same condition it was when you bought it, you should be able to sell it for roughly what you paid for it, provided nothing much changes in the marketplace.

Post subject: Re: Old Navi 2 question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:08 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
thank you for your reply,

I will look into what you suggest

English is not my first language, sorry
but you did understand correctly,

and I would like to add to that question,
I think my watch was manufactured in late 90's so when was the movment changed? and is the movment in the newer model the same one which is used in a brand new Navitimer?

thanks again