The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:51 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 5 posts
Have had my Cockpit B50 for just over 3 years. After the first problem of the stem falling out, it was sent to Switzerland, and has been perfect ever since: off by 1 or 2 seconds per year! However, I just had a bad experience: The watch was down to about 85% charge, and I attached the charging cable. Got the usual beep and "charging" indication, and went to do a few things around the house for about 10 minutes which I assumed was all it would need. But when I came the watch was HOT!! It was almost too to to handle. The analog had stopped and although the digital display lighted when I tilted it, I could not get any other response from it.

I called Breitling Service in NJ, and their technicians were all at lunch, and I was told to call back in an hour. After about 30 minutes the watch had "cooled down" and became responsive,and I found that all memories and functions had been loss, and I needed to go through the laborious process of completely resetting everything, UTC, time, date etc. I called and spoke with a tech rep who said his guess was that the charge cable must have shorted out when it was connected. (I'm not sure where the heat came from if the charger was not connected to the charging cable...maybe it shorted out against the case, and got hot and made the case hot?)

The tech had me describe the cable watch connector to him, and he said that I had an "old style" cable that had the little ball bearing contact in the middle, a metal ring around that, and then a "stepped down" metal ring; the cable has apparently been changed to one with the lower metal ring covered by a plastic washer. I asked if he thought the watch should be serviced, and he said it could have been damaged from the heat, and suggested that I send it in for a "major" servicing, at the cost of around $550!
When I asked if this was a "post warranty" or "covered" issue, since the cable had been redesigned, he said I would have to talk to the warranty department to find out.

I called that department, and after 24 hours someone called me back, and said that if the watch didn't have a "burned" smell, it was probably ok, especially if it was keeping good time. (It has now been 4 days since I reset the watch, and the timekeeping seems perfect.) She said she would get back to me as to whether a new cable should be sent to me without charge and in the meantime, I should be very careful in connecting the charging cable. I thought I would wait to charge it, and I have not heard from her since then, but it has not yet been a full business day since we spoke.

Has anyone had any similar problems of a defective/replaced/redesigned cable? Any comments on whether the watch should be serviced?

Thanks!

Skyhawk likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:50 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
I have read some problems before with the "older" B50 cables.
"Breitling have supplied a new charger cable for the B50, which is somewhat different to my original cable. I took the original cable to Breitling UK with the dead watch. It is considerably more flexible, has a different shaped contact head, a stronger magnet and a protective cover for when not in use. It sits far more firmly on the watch and the cable lies flatter on the surface, on which you are charging. A useful improvement. "

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f15/my-bre ... 810-4.html

Danny