Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:19 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
Hey all,

My name is Trevor, and this is my first visit/post here at Breitling source! I figured this community was a pretty great place to ask for help with my current project and continue to learn about this brand.

Long story short I've been obsessing over the 80840 just because of it's unique aesthetics, functions, and multi-movement incorporation. But knowing that the parts are unavailable and having a love for tinkering, I purchased one in need of repair. So! My question is what movement was used for the three 24hr dials?

I have searched, and searched, finding minimal information regarding the movement that was originally put into this creature. So naturally, I took it to my local watchmaker to have him try and assess the damage, but he basically seconded Breitling in saying he couldn't do anything because the parts were not available. As soon as I returned home I removed the movement to try and find any maker markings or ref. numbers, to no avail.

The back of the movement has the " Unadjusted Seven 7 Jewels" etched on it, and the front only shows an ink stamp that reads "703". In other pictures online I cannot see anything more on the movement. Based on what little I do know about the timepiece, I assume that this is some sort of modified ETA movement. The main movement is the ETA 956.112, and the unmarked movements share some similarities with the ETA 282.002.3. However, the 282.002's are about 2mm too wide and 2J short. I did find that the Miyota 5R21 is the same size as the movement in question, but it has no jewels and the hand gauges are different.

Basically, now I'm just trying to figure out the mystery at hand and decide whether it's possible or not to repair these movements, and maintain authenticity, or create some close franken-creature... Any info is super appreciated and if nothing else I'd just like to hear thoughts on the blasphemy of replacing the "authentic" movements with something similar just to get it running again.

Thank you for your time and any help at all!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ugo.93 likes this post.