Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:58 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
Hi all.

I have a Chronomat 44 GMT that I purchased new in December, 2015 at an AD. I experienced the following intermittent problem with the watch 3 times (possibly 4 times) the first two months I had it. I was about to mail the watch in for service, but this problem stopped and hasn't happened again.

Here was the problem. When I push the button to start the chronograph (top right button with the retaining ring fully unscrewed), the chronograph starts. When I pushed the same button again to stop the chronograph, nothing happened. The chronograph continued to run. There was no "click" sound when pushing the button to stop the chronograph, even though the button fully depressed. The 3 to 4 times that this happened were not back to back. In between, the chronograph worked fine.

I called Breitling and spoke to a watchmaker there. He hadn't heard of this problem from anyone else (just my luck.) He walked me through a few operations that he was doubtful would help, but we tried anyway. It included pushing the reset button, pulling the crown out to the time set position, and screwing and unscrewing the retaining ring on the start/stop button. The chronograph continued to run (when the crown was pushed back in.)

After 1 to 3 hours of periodically pushing the start/stop button to try to get the chronograph to stop, I finally heard a "click", and the chronograph stopped. The same thing happened for each of the 3 to 4 times that this problem occurred. During the 1 to 3 hour period, the watch was either on a table, or on my wrist. It was not bumped.

On what turned out to be the last occurrence, I decided to video tape my pushing of the button to try to stop the chronograph so I could email the video to Breitling (and mail the watch to them.) I even placed a service request online and received the shipping materials.

Since the last occurrence, I have started and stopped the chronograph 1-2 times per week with no problems.

Normally, (when the chronograph works properly) the start stop button is significantly harder to push when starting the chronograph from the zero position (with no accumulated time on the chronograph) and it makes a loud click. If I stop or restart the chronograph (after the initial start) (without resetting the chronograph) the button is easier to push and it makes a softer click. When the chronograph is reset, the start/stop button is harder to push and I hear the loud click again. Is this normal for the B04 movement?

I wonder if the related parts needed to wear a little bit for it to function correctly, or maybe there was a burr or small piece of debris that dislodged. What do you make of all this?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:06 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
It's a known, if not common, issue with the in house movement, several reports from members here in the past. If it isn't happening now then no immediate need for action but mention it when the watch goes in for service.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:26 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thank you Roff. I tried searching, but I didn't see any relevant search results (I probably missed them.)

Good idea reminding Breitling of this problem at service time. 15 months to go. Keeping my fingers crossed. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:34 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 17 posts
mybrtlng wrote:
Thank you Roff. I tried searching, but I didn't see any relevant search results (I probably missed them.)

Good idea reminding Breitling of this problem at service time. 15 months to go. Keeping my fingers crossed. :-)

I'm likely the most notorious member on this forum with B01 chrono issues. I have not had your specific one, though. Clearly something is wrong inside; the watch definitely didn't fix itself. Be absolutely sure that you document this issue with Breitling and send it in before the warranty expires.

Really sorry to hear about our issues, but unfortunately, the B01/04 movements have chronic chrono problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navitimer 01- Limited Edition #1337/2000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:11 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thank you bozman. I'm sorry that you had problems with your watch too.

Fortunately, I have not had the problem reoccur. I run the chronograph several times per week. Sure seems like a part just needed to wear in a little, not that I believe that this is acceptable for such an expensive watch.

Good advice on the warranty. I will mail the watch to Breitling at two and four years for the required checks and I will remind them of this past issue. I'll post here if the problem reoccurs. 13 months to go until the first scheduled check.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:31 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hi everyone! Here is an update, and a few questions.

Thankfully, the problem listed in my opening post to this thread (where I could not get the chronograph to stop) never reoccurred. Since the watch was due for the 2 year check, I mailed the watch to Breitling and mentioned this past issue. They received the watch earlier this month.

If I understood the rep correctly, she said that Breitling would replace the parts related to the chronograph second hand. The service department also noted Low Amplitude. They are in the process of performing a complete mechanical service (not including polishing), that will be covered under warranty.

There were some very fine scratches on the case and bracelet from me wiping the watch with a clean cotton cloth (I didn't wash the watch first.) Since the watch was being overhauled, I asked them to do the polishing too, which I paid for.

Are we allowed to post prices in this forum if I am asked how much the polishing cost?

What do you do to prevent or minimize fine scratches when cleaning your watch?

Does Breitling normally send details on the parts that are replaced?

What are the common causes of Low Amplitude with B04?

Which shipping carrier and what value (purchase price or replacement cost new or used) do you insure your Breitling for? I'm new at this, and used USPS registered mail for new replacement value (cost about $40). Are there better ways?

Thank you!