The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:11 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
So.... I needed to buy collegabooks and fund a trip and so I decided to sell my Breitling 36 Galactic watch. Sold it to a guy on this online marketplace (not specifically aimed at the sales of watches). Agreed on price: several thousand Euro. Jusy FYI: the watch did not mean much to me, it hurt my wrist so I never wore it anyway (not a flaw on it).

The watch came with the box, papers, a receipt from the official Breitling jeweller, and the watch is dated as a 2013. Even the links that were taken out were there. It was complete.

At some point, six months after I purchased the watch myself the dial stopped moving. I always thought it was a battery operated watch. But is turns out to be an automatic (and says so in the book, my bad...).

So yesterday the transaction took place, al dandy. Just a couple hours ago I get a Whatsapp from this dude that the automatic 'thingie' is broken, and that it is not that easy as replacing a battery (that is what he says). I don't know how easy or not easy it is to replace such 'automatic' thingy or how costly this is.

Bottomline: in the ad I stated clearly the watch wasn't running due to reasons unknown to me. He held the watch, seen the papers where it also clearly stated that it was indeed automatic and does not run on a battery as I first stated. He could have cancelled the transaction righ there.

Right now I told him to go to an official Breiling dealer, that I want to talk to the same dealer and that I will verify whatever the jeweler will tell me with Breitling Headquarters.

The guy only has my phonenumber, does not know my last name and only knows what town I live but not my exact adress.

What to do?? How can I solve this amicable? I already spend part of the money on my college expenses so it os not as easy for me to just buy the watch back.

Also: does the watch still jave warranty on it?

I understand if I comeover a naïef and silly but I am really upset right now.

To be clear: I never intented to sell anything broken, I wanted to do an honest transaction.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:18 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Welcome to BreitlingSource. The watch is no longer under warranty if it is from 2013. You need a Breitling repair estimate to know how much it will cost, likely $500 or equivalent including the required service. But....

If you told the guy the watch wasn't working and you didn't know why, that's on him, not you in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:31 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 8 posts
I am not sure what the guy expects you to do since you did a face to face and you told him it didn't function. The good news is it is an automatic and likely can be serviced or repaired. You are doing the right thing having hm involve an ad to determine what is wrong and how to proceed.

I will tell you that I sold a quartz movement watch to a fellow and the watch movement quit functioning while the watch was shipping to his home. I never had any problems with that watch so I don't know what happened, if anything. It ended up needing a new movement is what I was told. The new movement was 110.00 I ate the cost in order to save my reputation on the forum I sold it on.

You will have to decide what your conscience can bear on this deal and go from there. Jmho
Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:07 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 811 posts
I've never experienced a situation like that myself, but I heard of cases locally where seller and buyer agree to cover service expenses in 50:50 per cent if something unknown to them in the time of transaction was wrong with a watch or it needed polishing or something like that.

But, first step is to get expert opinion on what is wrong with the watch and how much it costs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:59 pm 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
I'm with Roff on this one.
If the ad clearly stated that the watch is not in working order then you have no obligation.

Lofan likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:29 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
You told him it was not working, what more does he need to know. Forget about him move on. You were honest. Do not bother yourself!