The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:15 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
It is my first post here so I would like to say hello to everyone!

I am a happy owner of Breitling Chronomat 44 GMT. It is my first "real" watch and I can't say how happy I am. I am also afraid that I am going to be spending money on watches :/ These little masterpieces are awesome!

As I am totally new to chronometers I would like to ask you some questions regarding my watch.

1. My watch is brand new and for that reason does it need some break-in time before it's accuracy settles down?
2. The watch runs fast. It is very consistent and I would say regardless of it's rest position for overnights. It runs 5sec fast every single day (in the last 4days since it's heart has started to beat).
Is this possible to fine adjust it? I read somewhere that these watches should run +-1sec a day. +6sec is still within limits but that's the worst case scenario. What kind of accuracy can I reach with B04?

Thanks for help!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:39 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Welcome to BreitlingSource.

Your watch is COSC certified which means it should run between -4 / +6 seconds per day and yours is within those specs. It will also take several weeks to settle so no point in timing it until you have been wearing it consistently for 4 - 6 weeks. Even if it settles at +5 there is nothing to adjust,it will vary with temperature, humidity, amount of power reserve remaining, etc. If you want to help it run slower, position it crown up at night rather than laying on its back,that will tend to cause it to run slightly slower - but let it settle first.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:43 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

All right! Thanks for the answer.

I will let it run for a couple of weeks and later experiment with the rest positions. If I could shed off some seconds during the night I am gonna be very happy with this watch!
Anyway for the matter of keeping this forum informative I will keep you updated how it goes latter on.

Just one more question...
Do I need to wind it up even if I wear the watch every day? I know it all depends how "actively" the watch is going to be worn but is there any way to check if my watch needs periodical winding-up? How often?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:23 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

No way to 'know' if it needs winding, but topping it up with manual winding occasionally won't hurt,you can't overwind an automatic.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:47 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Ok, I am happy to report that after a couple of weeks wearing my watch for now it runs 2-3sec fast a day. I think I should leave it as it is, right?
I have never winded it up (except once). Just wearing every day.

One question here... If the temperature rises automatic watches tend to speed up or slow down?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:01 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

You should leave it alone.

In the highly unlikely event that temperature is the only thing that changes the watch will run fractionally faster, but likely not noticeably. Bigger weather related impacts will be pressure and humidity so on any given day the net impact is impossible to predict, especially for a daily wearer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:22 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Why would humidity matter if the watch is waterproof ?
Same goes for the pressure. The case is so overworked and it's diameter so small that the change of 10-20hPa should not change it's interior pressure.

I get the temperature but not the rest of parameters.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:58 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Atmospheric pressure and ambient humidity will cause changes to the internal 'atmosphere' of the watch, although they won't be major factors (nor will temperature) compared with amount of reserve, position, movement, etc. The point is there are numerous factors that will affect the rate at any given moment, regulation is always an attempt to balance those factors out to net zero in a 'normal' day.