It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help with service
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:36 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi,

I have a Breitling Colt Chrono Automatic that is 12 years old, purchased at the time for c. £1400. I took it in for a routine battery change recently but have been told they won't replace the battery without a complete overhaul of the watch.

The cost of this overhaul is in excess of £800.

I understand that the maintenance is highly recommended by Breitling but I find two things offensive, firstly, that a watch of this expense should require such work after only 12 years and secondly, that they refuse to complete the battery replacement without the other work.

The cynic in me says that this reeks of being ripped off, given the watch and strap were at the very least perfectly useable prior to me taking it in.

Has anybody else had this problem and is there anything that I can do? It seems near impossible to get anybody - particularly sales staff - to say anything other than, "sorry sir, you'll have to pay it if you want it working again."

Appreciate any help.

Post subject: Re: Help with service
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:42 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
That does seem a ridiculously high amount. I suggest you get in touch with BUK directly (contact details can be found on the Breitling website).

http://www.breitling.com/en/service/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:44 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Given the service window is 5-7 years the watch is in desperate need of that service and I completely understand Breitling's position. The watch has been running without any lubrication in the running train for at least 5 years and that could be doing all kinds of damage.

The higher cost is likely based on the need for more replacement parts because of the wear caused by the lack of servicing to this point but they should provide a breakdown of costs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:58 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hi all,

Thanks for the input so far. The watch has had the battery replaced three times in those 12 years. Would it not have received some basic servicing during that time to lubricate etc?

Apologies for the naivety, I always believed that was why the cost for the battery was so high.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:36 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
A battery change is just a battery change.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:37 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks, Roffensian. Appreciate your input.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:02 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Just out of curiosity, where did you go to get the previous battery changes and where did the estimate of £800 come from?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:21 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hi Paul,

The watch was originally purchased through Ernest Jones, so I have always returned to them for battery replacements. I presume they send it to an authorised repair centre.

Most recently, I took the watch to Ernest Jones once again, who sent it across to Breitling. That is where the £800 quote came from. What I can't understand is which elements of the £800 repair is essential and what is aesthetic (e.g crystal face, strap etc), as I can't get a breakdown from EJ.

The reality is that I can't afford £800 for the repair, so the watch is likely to sit unused for even longer.

Appreciate any further thoughts you have.

Thanks,

Lee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:27 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 13 posts
I reckon Ernest Jones have added something to the total. Breitling's uk price list for a chronograph complete overhaul is £530. Not cheap, but more bearable. I had the same thing once at Beaverbrooks. Since then I have always sent my watches through Andrew Michaels of Newark and not been disappointed. I sent a ladies Starliner a couple of years ago that looked like it had been dug up in a coal mine. It cost around £600 with a new bezel, crystal and three rider tabs. Also when I have sent watches for a battery change they have been returned with the bracelet polished. I would send it to Breitling at Tumbridge Wells directly and ask for a quote. Also there are places advertised on EBay doing overhauls for £250 ish that seem to have a good reputation. Could be a option for a twelve year old watch. Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:25 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

leechapman wrote:
Hi Paul,

The watch was originally purchased through Ernest Jones, so I have always returned to them for battery replacements. I presume they send it to an authorised repair centre.

Most recently, I took the watch to Ernest Jones once again, who sent it across to Breitling. That is where the £800 quote came from. What I can't understand is which elements of the £800 repair is essential and what is aesthetic (e.g crystal face, strap etc), as I can't get a breakdown from EJ.

The reality is that I can't afford £800 for the repair, so the watch is likely to sit unused for even longer.

Appreciate any further thoughts you have.

Thanks,

Lee

Hi Lee

Well that's a bit of a surprise as I used Earnest Jones (Eastleigh) in 2013 to send my Shark Chrono to BUK and I got a fully itemised quote from BUK. At the time EJ had some really great staff who worked hard for their customers but personnel have changed and my last experience (non-Breitling) was a huge let down, so I guess service will vary from shop to shop. I'd still be inclined to contact BUK direct as I find it hard to believe that they no longer provide itemised quotes.

Cheers

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:41 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 2 posts
happy_chapie is right, no way it should be costing £800.
I was in exactly the same situation last year. My Chrono Avenger needed to battery changing so I took it to an AD. They sent it off to BUK and after an age they came back saying it needed full service, having never had a full service before. Quote was £580. Ouch.
In had previously had just a battery change by Breitling service centre, but it was in Saudi!
My solution was to use Intime at the Debenhams in Clapham £100ish.
There were some other issues after the change but in fairness to Intime these were resolved with no quibbles and very swiftly.
I would give them a go.

Cheers

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:21 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I guess it comes down to what you want.

If you just want it to be serviced with whatever parts are to hand (i.e. not official Breitling parts) then as others have said you will probably find a back-street or department store watch repairer who will do just that for you.

However, if you're bothered about the use of non-Breitling parts, then you have no option other than to go via Breitling. As one of the other guys said, I would personally go direct to Breitling UK (missing out the AD) and ask for a quote. They will give you an estimate immediately although that will be based upon not having seen the watch. Once you send the watch in, they may find more work required and they will give you a proper estimate/quote before starting work. Then you can choose whether to have it done. Yes, they will be much more expensive, but unfortunately that's sort of the nature of the beast when it comes to "prestige" watches.

Personally I'm of the opinion that part of owning a "luxury" watch (or luxury anything for that matter) is keeping it that way - i.e. always using genuine parts wherever possible. If I owned a Ferrari I wouldn't get "Honest John's Garage Services" behind my local Asda to start replacing bits with non-OEM parts : I would always take it to a main dealer.

But ultimately it's your watch and as I say, it depends on what you find more important.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:27 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks for all the responses, they're very useful.

I am also of the opinion that part of the experience of owning such a watch is keeping it that way, whatever the cost.

So my question now is thus: am I putting the longevity of the watch at risk by not having the work done immediately, given that it currently isn't functioning?

I'd like to go via Breitling but I can't quite afford to do so right now, so would preferably get the money together over the next couple of months and then have it done officially.

Cheers,

Lee