The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:02 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hi Roffensian,i clean the watch under water, pull out crown in position 2 to wash some dust under crown.
Is posible that water can reach inside watch case when crow is pull out in position 2?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:44 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
n.k25 wrote:
Hi Roffensian,i clean the watch under water, pull out crown in position 2 to wash some dust under crown.
Is posible that water can reach inside watch case when crow is pull out in position 2?
Thanks.

:shock: Yes it is absolutely possible that water could have gotten inside the case! If the water pressure wasn't too hard then you may have gotten away with it...., but equally you may not. Time will tell.....

The absolute golden rule you should never break is getting a watch wet with the crown out (or unscrewed in the case of watches with a screw-in crown). Washing dust from beneath the unscrewed crown is pretty much the last thing you should ever do. Screw-in crowns screw in for a reason - to keep water out!

(By the way, you don't need to address posts directly to Roff : there are a number of people here who can and will answer questions for you. Of course if you wish to send a specific member a message that only they can see, then please use the PM (personal message) button).

Site Moderator

n.k25 likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:52 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

What i shud do,maybe i shud open the crown to help the watch dry out?
What going to hapend wit the watch iff the water get inside the case?
My watch is Breitlin bentley B06

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:59 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

If water get inside the case shud fog come out inside the glass normaly maybe i am wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:41 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

When i clean the watch under water the crown was jus unscrewed NOT pull out!
Please help with my questions,thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:12 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

If water gets inside the case it can do very serious damage to the movement (and the dial as well) - i.e. corrosion, the movement will stop, and you'll have a huge bill from Breitling to fix it. If you can see moisture inside the crystal then you really need to get the watch off to Breitling asap.

However, unless you can physically see moisture/condensation on the underside of the crystal (especially when you're wearing it as your body heat will cause the moisture to move upwards to the crystal, or when you move from warm to colder environments), then you probably escaped without any water getting into the case. :thumbsup:

However, if you are still overly concerned about moisture ingress, you could half-fill a clean dry jam jar with desiccant or (uncooked/raw!) rice, carefully place the watch (with the crown pulled out) in the jar on top of the desiccant, put the lid on the jar and leave it in on a windowsill for a day or so. Don't cover the watch with the desiccant/rice, just carefully place the watch it on top. The desiccant/rice will hopefully draw any moisture out of the watch via the crown tube. It will be a slow process as the crown tube has gaskets to help water resistance, but people say it can help. I've never personally tried this as I've not needed to, but anecdotal evidence suggests it works.

As I say though, if you can actually see moisture in the case, then the only answer is to get it off to Breitling as soon as possible.

Site Moderator

walter whatrton likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:25 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Hi, try to take the watch for inside{34 degrees Celsius} to outside{3 degrees celsius} for 30 min ,and i do not see any moisture/condensation on the underside of the crystal.
Thath maybe means the watch is OK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:24 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

n.k25 wrote:
Hi, try to take the watch for inside{34 degrees Celsius} to outside{3 degrees celsius} for 30 min ,and i do not see any moisture/condensation on the underside of the crystal.
Thath maybe means the watch is OK

Agreed, I think you got away with it this time! :thumbsup: Just please make sure the crown is screwed in in future if you get your watch wet.

Site Moderator

n.k25 likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:38 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thank you DRIVER8 for yours advice,and all Breitling Watch Source suport team!!!!