Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Aerospace questions
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:23 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 9 posts
I recently bought a pre-owned Aerospace, originally purchased in 2009. I'm not aware of any servicing history, so I'm operating under the assumption it has never been serviced. I recently got the EOL indicator, and am debating whether I should just take it into a local AD for a battery change, or send it into Breitling for an overhaul, given its age. The watch keeps laser-accurate time, so there's no issue there. There are a few things I'd like Breitling to address at some point (the crystal has some hairline scratches in the AR coating, and the clasp, while functional, is difficult to close), but those are things I can choose to put up with if I want. My main concern is whether the watch actually needs servicing at this point, or whether it can go another battery duration.

Also, how much play is normal for a Ti Pro 2 bracelet? This is my second Aerospace (earlier one was same basic model, but with a different dial), and its bracelet had the same amount of play as this one, but both are considerably more "saggy" looking than what I've seen with steel Pro 2 bracelets, or especially Pilot bracelets. Is this normal, or is it something that needs addressing? If the latter, will BUSA repair it, or recommend a new bracelet?

Post subject: Re: Aerospace questions
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:43 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

I should point out, I am assuming I'm getting the EOL indicator. The display flashes for a few minutes after "heavy" use (e.g., cycling through functions, using the backlight, alarm, etc.), but then stops and returns to normal when the watch is left alone. The manual only says the display flashes for EOL; it doesn't say anything about flashing and then returning to normal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:07 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 10 posts
I've a couple of Aerospace and both my bracelets are somewhat sloppy, but one I use as a tool watch and the other is another daily wearer and it's not something I am particularly worried about. Pretty sure its not something Breitling will fix, but then you're not in the UK so perhaps BUS may...

As for the EOL - well, I never seem to get reliable EOL on either of my Aerospace nor the Co-Pilot - usually I find they're just dead, I usually have a slight feeling of dread (is it the battery or the movement gone south) and then drop it into my AD (who is a Breitling approved service centre) for a new battery. My wife on the other hand who has an Oceane has twice now had the EOL which manifests by a jumping second hand.

If I were you I'd get a new battery fitted ASAP just to be sure - if the display still flashes, then perhaps the movement is drawing too much power so will need to go back for a service and recalibration.

Had
2013 Avenger Seawolf SS yellow Arabic dial
2010 Aerospace Avantage black dial & Co-pilot
2007 Aerospace Repetition Minutes
2003 Superocean
2001 Chronospace

JacksonStone likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:20 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Thanks, Vulcan. I took it by my AD last week. He said the bracelet looks the same as a new one - the sag is just normal for that bracelet. The watch failed its WR test, so he recommended sending it in to an approved service center he uses (not BUSA) for a battery and seal replacement. His opinion was it probably didn't need an overhaul yet, but was willing to send it to BUSA if I wanted. I went with his suggestion.