Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:25 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi

I have a Breitling Superocean Chrono for the first few years I never had any issues I just wore the watch and it used to keep going no problems. About a year or so ago I have started having issues with the watch stopping. I took it to Ernest Jones to ask about a service and the lady said I need to wind up the Main mechanism manually (I did explain that I dont think I have ever done that in the 4 years I had it without any issues). She unscrewed the crown and turned it quite a few times and the watch worked fine for a couple days whilst wearing it. Then it stopped again.

Can someone explain how this watch works as I am slightly confused. I cant really afford to send for a service £370 ish.

When I bought the watch didnt factor in the service cost. lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
Welcome aboard.
Looks like you are not enough active during the day, so your watch needs to be winded manually sometimes.
Best way to see is the power reserve as it should be (approx. 40 hrs), is to manually wind it and put it on the desk until it stops.
You can't over wind an auto so give it a 40 turns with your fingers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:16 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I think that there may be other issues. If it ran fine for 4 years with just automatic winding (wearing) then stopped after a couple of days when manually wound then that implies either a problem with the running train that is creating too much inertia for the torque transmitted by the mainspring to overcome - i.e. the watch can't run the power reserve down properly, the power reserve is dropping due to a weakening mainspring, or the automatic winding is not functioning properly.

Any of those problems are going to need a service to address, and if the watch is 5 years old (which I presume means bought 5 years ago making the actual watch older) then it is right in the service window - the oils will have broken down and continued use is potentially creating more problems.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 24 posts
Bite the bullet and have a service it's probably going to take a few weeks so start saving. I know it seems, or is really!, a lot but it will keep your watch running at prime and you will have your watch back looking and more importantly running like new. Also I would stay away from EJ and send it in through, a Dealer that knows what they are talking about or even to Breitling UK.

Good luck with it.

:lingsrock:

A Few Breitlings.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:47 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi again

I collected my watch October 2013. It has started randomly stopping again. I called breitling and they said I get a years warranty on the fix. I am not paying again. I have the watch 5 years with no issues and then get it fixed. 15 months later it has the same issue

Any advice please
Regards
Colin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:53 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
It's out of warranty and it needs attention, not sure what more advice can be given.......

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:15 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Indeed.

In your shoes I would send it in again with a covering letter setting out the choronology of events and politely but firmly stating your unhappiness that the issue has recurred so soon, but just out of warranty. They might exercise some discretion in response.