It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Screwdown crown SA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:45 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hi,
Im abit worried about my SA. :? The screwdown crown only screws down a half turn from setting the time to tight closed position. Im not sure but what i can remember it use to be atleast 1 whole turn from open to closed position. I have always been careful and made sure to not set the date or moving the time backwards between 8pm and 3 am. Is something broken? Should i get someone to look at it?

thanks
G

Post subject: Re: Screwdown crown SA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:18 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Won't hurt to get it checked, but the screw down is nothing to do with the date change. It may be nothing more than dirt preventing it from screwing down more.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:45 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for the respond. Alright, then its no worry that the movement has gone to the worse. I was screwing the crown in and out a few times and it seems to be better again. If the problem occurs again i will have it checked.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:24 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

And now suddenly the crown wont screw in at all. It just turns without locking.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:43 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
Give this a try...

Starting with the crown unlocked, press the crown in gently. While continuing to press in the crown, rotate the crown backwards for a half turn or so. Then, still pushing in on the crown, rotate the crown forward.

Don't know if this will address your situation, but sometimes this is a useful method to make sure that the threads are aligned properly before screwing in the crown.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:34 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Moana43 wrote:
Give this a try...

Starting with the crown unlocked, press the crown in gently. While continuing to press in the crown, rotate the crown backwards for a half turn or so. Then, still pushing in on the crown, rotate the crown forward.

Don't know if this will address your situation, but sometimes this is a useful method to make sure that the threads are aligned properly before screwing in the crown.

Thanks for the tip. I tried it but it did not work. I cant feel any thread at all. I spoke with a friend of mine that is a true breitling enthusiast and a watch maker. He thought that the crown tube might have gotten loose somehow. Possible by forcing the crown down with the threads false aligned. But both him and me doubt that this would be the reason of the problem since he knows that im always careful with my watches and i would definetly have felt the preassure if the threads would have been wrong aligned. It seems as the only option is to have some one to open it up and look at it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:10 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

So i got my watch back. The crown has been swapped out for a new one. Apparently the stem was too long. When i got home the watch was as it use to be but when i was going to put the watch in my watchwinder something odd happened. I got like two tabs on each side of the cushion that has to be pushed together in order to set the cushion in the right place in the winder. The space between the tabs are really tight between the tabs and the watch (the SA is a big watch and i guess the winder isnt made for this size). Anyhow when i pushed the tabs together with the watch in the middle the crown was moving like an half mm inwards and then bounced out for the same anmount even tho i had screwed the crown tightly after setting the time. Now im afraid of even looking at the watch becouse it feels like its going to give up on me as soon as i try to turn the crown again. Am i to worried? Should this even accure twice?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:44 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Not entirely following the winder cushion, but putting pressure on the watch shouldn't cause the crown to move.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:04 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Roffensian wrote:
Not entirely following the winder cushion, but putting pressure on the watch shouldn't cause the crown to move.

Im sorry. English isnt my primary language. Maby theese pictures will do the explaining for me.

As you can see the watch is very close to the tabs and i have to push the tabs together in order to get the cushion (as i call it) in place in the winder.

Anyhow i had the watch on my wrist today and so far no problems but i still dont feel that the crown is what it should be.