The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:09 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I have a Breitling Emergency, purchased in 2004. I haven't worn the watch in about ten years and it appears the battery is dead. I tested the beacon on the test box and it works fine. The watch is frozen at 12:26 and will not re-set, nor will the electronic date/time appear on the watch.

I looked on line and sent a repair inquiry to Breitling. Today I brought it to Brown, in Roswell, Ga.
The woman there told me that Brown does not send Breitlings to Wilton, CT. but instead to "Miami". I asked if that was a Breitling facility and she said "yes". I asked her about Govberg and she said she has never heard of them. When I asked her why Miami and not Wilton, she said "only Miami can handle our volume".

When I asked her what the cost would be to change the battery, if it was $60 that I saw online, and she scoffed and said "absolutely not", that "...the watch would have to be cleaned and re-set according to FAA standards". She said the cost would be anywhere from $300-$500. I asked her why I shouldn't send it directly to Wilton and she said "no, we have to send it for you".

I didn't have confidence in what she was telling me, what with her "never heard of Govberg"; Miami being a Breitling facility; that only Miami can handle their volume; that only Brown can send it in fir repair, and the need to "re-set" a watch that seemingly only needs a new battery. She said "it's so expensive to repair your watch and it needs to be done every two years that you should talk to one of our salespeople about turning it in for another watch". She also said mine was an "old" Breitling, being replaced by the new Emergency which they have in stock in the store but cannot sell yet because Breitling is awaiting FAA approval. She said "the new Emergency works differently and makes your rescue feature obsolete, unless you want to just wear it as a piece of jewelry".

I walked out and am awaiting word back from Breitling about the repair.

This is my first experience with any maintenance issue with my Breitling.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:05 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
There is an authorised repair centre in Miami, but sending it to Wilton, Miami or Govberg is likely irrelevant as it will probably be sent to Switzerland for service as is standard practice with the Emergency. I would be absolutely amazed if you get away with a service cost of $300 - $500 for an Emergency that has been sitting for 10 years, especially as the crown wasn't pulled to protect the battery. It definitely needs a full service and I would be keeping as many fingers crossed that I have that the battery hasn't leaked.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:41 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Thanks for your input. If the battery has leaked, can the watch be repaired or is it not cost effective to do so?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:33 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Impossible to answer, it would depend on the extent of the damage.