Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:46 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi

I recently purchased the above and read that the reason they were discontinued was due to people stripping the threads of the crown.

I love the watch and the fact its Ti and huge is the biggest appeal. How nervous should I be of this issue or is it bollox!

I use to like the fact I never had to remove my submariner "ever", I slept, bathed, worked repeat in that watch which has now been put on the shelf due to the avenger? Am I correct in thinking the screw down crown is not the only means of assuring the 300m water depth. The Rolex has three barriers on being the o ring on the crown, the other being o rings on the crown shaft I guess.

I’m wary of not screwing it down too tight but is it tight enough?

My Rolex had the 5 pointed crown upside down when it was tight, this appears to have the "b" the right way up, is that by chance or by design?

Few question there but would welcome any responses.

Thanks

escapizm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:59 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 1005 posts
Hello. I've owned two CAs and I have never had any problems with the crown stripping. If anything I think they were isolated incidents. Enjoy your new timepiece, it's a tough rugged tool watch that will last you a long time. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:07 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Not really isolated incidents, there were many challenges. Breitling uses Grade 2 titanium rather than Grade 5 and it is an inherently soft metal which can cause problems with over tightening and also with situations where the crown isn't used for long periods ('fusing') can occur.

The position of the B logo is coincidental, but it can give you an indication of when the crown is tight - you should aim to have the crown finger tight without forcing it. It's not a guaranteed problem in the future, but definitely something to be aware of.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:51 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 1005 posts
Unless your really torquing it down, you should be all set. Definitely don't be afraid to wear it in the water, its really a tough piece and is meant to go off the beaten path!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:42 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Roffensian wrote:
Not really isolated incidents, there were many challenges. Breitling uses Grade 2 titanium rather than Grade 5 and it is an inherently soft metal which can cause problems with over tightening and also with situations where the crown isn't used for long periods ('fusing') can occur.

The position of the B logo is coincidental, but it can give you an indication of when the crown is tight - you should aim to have the crown finger tight without forcing it. It's not a guaranteed problem in the future, but definitely something to be aware of.

Thanks for replies guys, is this a failure you know of first hand or tinterweb rumour, must say im a little wary to the extent im conisdering selling back on after a few weeks :( my sub really is bullet proof i wore it always, its tooka few dings in the garden etc but it really is a tough tool watch. Really like the look of this CA tho!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:49 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
A number of members here have experienced the problem and in talking to Breitling maintenance staff it is a common problem that they deal with. Of course 'common problem' still means that most pieces will be fine but this isn't a problem caused my misuse it's a flaw of the design and materials.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:56 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 14 posts
I have had about a dozen CA's of various colors and also have never had a crown issue. Of course, I agree with Roff that the crown logo is not indexed in any way and maybe that misperception about how the logo should line up has been the cause in part of so many stripped threads on the crown tubes...that, and ham fisted owners. The beauty of the Ti CA, for me, is that I can have one looking new in minutes; something that is nowhere as easy with stainless.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:21 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Tks guys, I'm definitely keeping it. Looks and feels great. Not so sure I'll get it wet, the crown doesn't give the confidence my sub does as you nip that last bit against the oring. It has felt loose day or three after tightening but no great shakes. My moon watch stays dry too.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.