Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A little disturbed...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 0 post
I purchased what I thought was a NEW Chrono Avenger M1 this weekend from an AD in the Northeastern part of the United States. When I received it, not only was the watch not ticking, but the books/certificate/box seemed a bit tattered, and inside the warranty book, the purchase date was marked roughly three and a half years prior to the current date. At no time, did I ask if the watch was pre-owned, but I assumed, based on Breitling's America Office, contacting me, and locating the watch, that it would be new. I know that the Chrono Avenger M1 is battery powered, but if the watch is new, should the battery be dead, already? Why the strange date on the warranty booklet? I received the watch today in the post, but it was already after their closing time. Breitling contacted me with regards to this particular watch, over three weeks ago, and informed me that this AD had what I was looking for, so I'm sure the watch is authentic, but is it Certified pre-owned? This is my first post to the boards, and this is also my first Breitling Watch, so I ask that no one flame me for my inexperience in this matter. I just need some insight from someone with a little more knowledge on the situation at hand. I do intend to call them tomorrow to ask a few more questions, and if need be, return the watch, but I'd like some more insight. Any help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:45 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
It sounds really strange that they sent you a pre-owned watch. It has to be pre-owned, because there's no other reason to fill in the warranty booklet with a date. They really should have adviced you about the condition and even if they did, they should have changed the battery before shipping it to you.

I hope your call will shed some more light to this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

After speaking with the AD this morning, I feel a little bit better. They stated that the date logged in the warranty book, was more than likely the date they received it from Breitling, and that someone most have erroneously written that date, where they were not supposed to. They asked me to return the watch, and they would send it to Breitling to have a new warranty book issued, reflecting the correct purchase date, and have the first full service done on it, along with replacing the battery. My only question now is, is it odd that they've had this watch in their inventory for over three years? They claim that this isn't out of the ordinary, and that sometimes the watches sit for years until the right buyer comes along...Should I take this answer at face value, or should I pry a more? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:50 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
It's entirely possible that a watch could be at a dealer for this length of time - I've known longer (much longer), but it's slightly unusual - unless it's a premium watch you usually find that the watch is discounted in order to move it.

That said the M1 wasn't a particularly popular model, hence why it is being discontinued. I'm a little surprised that the battery was dead, ADs don't usually leave wacthes running (even quartz).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
I doubt they would lie to you, though it is indeed possible. You could always call Breitling's customer service and make an inquiry. They would have had record of it ever being sold/registered etc. That should give you the peace of mind so that you can enjoy it when it gets freshened up and sent back ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Glad you're on the right track!

It's entirely possible, I've seen watches stay even longer than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thank you all so much, for your insight. I've not done my introduction yet, so once I get my first "Ling" on my wrist, I'll introduce myself...