The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:28 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I've spent a whole weekend reading articles and posts on this great site, and I think I'm a bit overstimulated from ALL the information in my brain. I'm hoping someone can help out a beginner.

I purchased a silver dial Evolution this summer, and I'm still in love with it. Unfortunately, I have already scratched the clasp more than I would have liked this soon, thanks to my active job demands. I decided to not wear it casually anymore, and now only wear it when I'm going out or have something special going on. I'm shopping for a winder, but even after reading all the different posts, I'm still confused on what I should/could buy.

I obviously need one that will properly wind my Evo, and I'd like to get one that holds at least 2 watches (I also own an Omega Seamaster that hasn't been holding its power like it used to, so I'd like to keep that wound more). I'd like to not spend a ton, but I also don't want to buy a cheap winder off Amazon if its going to be more trouble that its worth.

Can anyone suggest a couple good ones to investigate? Are there any other Evo owners that have good recommendations for me?

Thanks much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:04 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Hmmmm tricky one.... and a very emotive subject! Some people swear by them : others use them where necessary (like me) : others hate them with a passion. (I think one member likened them to a "robotic barbarian raping your watch"! :lol: )

Generally speaking winders are a minefield. Most tend to be nothing more than fairly mediocre electric motors dressed up in fancy wooden boxes. As I'm sure you know you can spend a fortune on some winders but again there is no real guarantee of internal quality.

I use an Official Time 6 way "Van Gogh" winder that didn't cost too much in the grand scheme of things, is nicely finished and has so far served me very well. It's just starting to get a little noisy now..... but then I had a much more expensive Rapport 2 way and that became more noisy more quickly. In my experience it's all a real gamble - sometimes you can be lucky, other times you can spend more and be unlucky.

If I didn't need 6 of the damn things, I'd probably be tempted to go with Orbita as they work on a slightly different principle to 99% of the winders out there (a combination of motor to start it and then gravity to provided the winding motion), which will probably add considerable life to the motor(s).

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
I think I've been promoting Underwood winders in every winding thread. They should really start to support me with free winders... :) And I bet you guys is fed up with me mentioning them... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:31 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
aleister wrote:
I think I've been promoting Underwood winders in every winding thread. They should really start to support me with free winders... :) And I bet you guys is fed up with me mentioning them... :lol:

I looked at their website last time you did - their 50 watch winder / cabinet isn't too shabby :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Roffensian wrote:
aleister wrote:

I looked at their website last time you did - their 50 watch winder / cabinet isn't too shabby :D

I'd love to have to NEED a 50 watch winder someday :shock:

Take a look at this link: http://www.ofrei.com/page254.html

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:08 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Roffensian wrote:
aleister wrote:

They aren't cheap though! :shock:

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:33 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Roffensian wrote:
aleister wrote:

If you can afford to fill it, you probably don't care!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Roffensian wrote:
Driver8 wrote:
Roffensian wrote:
aleister wrote:

If you can afford to fill it, you probably don't care!

I fully agree! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
First of all, I'd recommend Orbita watch winders, as they are my personal favourites, but everyone here has very differing opinions about winders.

crimson24 wrote:
I also own an Omega Seamaster that hasn't been holding its power like it used to, so I'd like to keep that wound more

This on the other hand should be addressed... if your seamaster is holding less power than it used to, I'd recommend getting it serviced, rather than winding it more.. its likely to need one, and winding it more and running it more will likely be bad for it.