The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:59 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I've found this covered but not to the extent I was hoping for elsewhere in the forum. If I simply failed to find the answer my apologies for bringing this up again.

I have a Breitling Chrono Avenger in Titanium. Being a number of years old it has it fair share of scrathes and marks (all surface level). I'm trying to figure out what my best bet is to bring back something close to the factory finish realizing it will never be perfect via DIY methods. Ive heard of fiberglass pens, scrstchpads, etc. but little in the way of specific products and grits. To the extent that I've heard folks reference specifics I've seen widely varying suggestions from 1500 grits scratch pads to 120 grit garryflex sanding blocks.

Does anyone here have any experience refinishing this specific watch or another Breitling titanium watch. If so what specifically did you use and what was the most effective appplication method. Thank you in advance your help.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:37 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Scotchbrite pads are popular - various details / approaches in many of these threads - search.php?keywords=scotchbrite&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:42 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
How bout just let it get worn? A Breitling is a tool. If you use it for its intended purpose, it is going to get scratched and dinged. If you want a crappy watch that always look pretty, get a Rolex..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:46 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Personally I look after my tools, I find they last longer that way! What a hugely constructive post :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:56 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Another vote for Scotchbrite pads. I've never used them on titanium, but they work an absolute treat on stainless steel. I've told the tale on here before, but I once refinished a many-years-old Seamaster of mine with Scotchbrite before trading it and the jeweller took a good look at and asked me if I've never really worn it! With care and time, Scotchbrite can give fantastic results.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:11 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks. I have used some sort if a pad that a friend gave me on a few stainless steel watches and it worked fairly well. In fact it was the trigger for my question. I've just been a little reluctant to try on titanium. Anyone uses a specific grit or version of scotchbrite.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:36 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

So I ended up using the scotchbrite pads from 3m purchased on ebay. They are burgandy in color and listed as ultra fine 7447. They did an excellent job eliminate the many surface scratches from the bracelet with a few easy strokes from top to bottom. Of course they are a bit large for some of the crevises around the case, such as the pushers, etc. Any ideas as to how best to get around these areas?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:54 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
galactic44 wrote:
So I ended up using the scotchbrite pads from 3m purchased on ebay. They are burgandy in color and listed as ultra fine 7447. They did an excellent job eliminate the many surface scratches from the bracelet with a few easy strokes from top to bottom. Of course they are a bit large for some of the crevises around the case, such as the pushers, etc. Any ideas as to how best to get around these areas?

A scratch refinishing pen is what you need - just type "scratch refinishing pen" into ebay and you'll see a few. Go very careful with them though as they can create a slightly uneven finish over large areas. But for very small areas around the push-pieces they can give good results. Again, go very slow and careful when using them.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:06 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks. I will give that try.