The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 2 posts
Roff- as mentioned, I believe the watch had a complete service 2 years ago when it was serviced under warranty. It was returned to me looking and operating as if it were brand new. Does Breitling maintain a service history on each watch that is sent to them for official service?

Also, can you tell me what the "Crown Steel" is, as a part, so I understand?

Club Member #0070
2009 TT Chrono Evo w/Rose gold, blue face
2009 Airwolf w/black face, Co-Pilot module
2009 TT Lady Cockpit w/Mother-of-Pearl, Diamond face for the wife

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:25 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Wildblue wrote:
Also, can you tell me what the "Crown Steel" is, as a part, so I understand?

Not Crown Steel - Crown, Steel - i.e. a replacement steel crown.

In my experience Breitling don't recommend a service that isn't needed, but they should be able to tell you what service was actually performed last time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Roffensian wrote:
Crown is not a standard item, so you would need to ask them why that needs replacing. Full service is likely because it has never had one and is approaching 5 years old, maybe more (you don't know how long it was sitting at the AD), next service will be the simple maintenance service. Crystal is optional so your choice. The costs look right to me.

(And the hands are replaced as standard at an overhaul service since they can't [effectively] be reused once removed.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks, Tom.

Sorry, to be clear, I just straight up don't know exactly which part the crown is.

Club Member #0070

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:30 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Wildblue wrote:
Thanks, Tom.

Sorry, to be clear, I just straight up don't know exactly which part the crown is.

The bit sticking out of the case at 3 o'clock.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ah, there's more. I haven't been able to call BUSA yet to talk about this repair quote. I got a letter in the mail today from BUSA with a printed copy of the quote and the papers that you need to sign authorizing the service. Turns out the quote they sent via E-mail was incomplete, and just for the watch head and bracelet. There's a separate quote just for the co-pilot module, which is the whole reason I sent the watch in to begin with, because the co-pilot battery started dying, 2 years after the last complete service:

BS-A80174
Required
Basic Service for A80174
$65

Watch Condition: Case scratched, pusher dented, movement stopped

This was not included in the first repair quote, so the grand total for this service is now $613.80 + $65 = $678.80. (at least they didn't quote a separate charge for freight on the co-pilot module too) :)

So the main thing that caused me to send in the watch was the co-pilot battery. A $65 job has turned into more than $675, all of which work was done two years ago, so my concern is that this is just establishing a repeating pattern where my co-pilot battery dies every other year, and I end up having to pay over $675 for complete services on top of it. Again, I wouldn't have a problem paying for complete services maybe every 5 years, with perhaps one battery change inbetween each cycle, but $675 every two years as maintenance costs to own a Breitling seems rather much!

I'll call BUSA after the holiday to see if there's something I'm missing.

Club Member #0070

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:03 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Chris-

I just got my quote for my '07 Airwolf. Not as bad as I was dreading, considering everything that you have been through. They are charging me $150 for the maintenance (battery replacement, gasket replacements, water pressure test). What I was surprised about is the extra cost: $180 for a polishing. I thought that the polishing came with the maintenance or overhaul, but I guess it's extra.

The polishing is optional, so I said no to that one. It would have been $330 for a maintenance plus polishing, which is just $50 less than your complete overhaul quote. Pretty ridiculous, if you ask me.

The real shocker was that it'll take 4-5 weeks to perform the maintenance. That's a long time to replace a battery and gaskets...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:14 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Fvolfrine wrote:
I thought that the polishing came with the maintenance or overhaul, but I guess it's extra.

It's included with the overhaul, not with the maintenance service.

Fvolfrine wrote:
The real shocker was that it'll take 4-5 weeks to perform the maintenance. That's a long time to replace a battery and gaskets...

Not that long to perform the work, that long for your watch to get to the front of the line.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Yeah, I hope your service turns out well, Fvolfrine!

I did call BUSA, and among other things, they confirmed that polishing is only included in a complete service (overhaul), not a basic service. However, they also say my watch only went through a basic service under warranty 2 years ago. Since it came back fully polished and looking and working like new 2 years ago, that would mean to me that either it did in fact have a complete service then, or they did the additional polishing for free but didn't put it into the records. The service agent also said that yes, I can expect to be sending back the watch for battery service every 2 years like it has been. :(

Bottom line for me on this one is that yes, it'll be a $675+ job, and I can expect this again in another 2 years. (plus any additional items that may pop up at that time like the crystal replacement, which this time was left as optional)

Club Member #0070

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:17 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I heard a rumor on here a day or two ago that a warranty is transferable as long as the watch was originally purchased from an AD. If I had known that back in April I would have sent it in then, but I waiting for the UEL light to flash, which, as it turns out, was only 4 months after the warranty expired. Figures, right?

Chris, hopefully subsequent services won't be as expensive for you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:30 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Not a rumour. Warranties are good for the warranty period regardless of the number of owner changes. Emergency has to be registered to the new owner because of the transmitter disclaimer that has to be signed, but otherwise there is no requirement - if you have the warranty book and it's still valid then you don't need anything else.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Just got the watch back from this latest service. Had no idea it was done and being returned, so there was quite a run-around with UPS for the week to get the package, but it all worked out. Great packing they're doing now. Was upside down in the outer box, though, so I couldn't get to the Breitling box without pulling everything out. No biggie.

I sent my service booklet in, and they returned it stuffed in that tiny little manila envelope, but didn't bother to fill it out. I guess I'll have to send it back to have the service documented. The one there is the last time I had to send it back in 2 years ago.

I still prefer the older Breitling service cases, but these newer ones are still cool. With me having to send in my Airwolf every two years, I'm already starting quite the collection. I'm always amazed how the watches look when coming back from service. So clean, polished like liquid metal.

So pretty. Working great, although the knobs and bezels were stuck at first, and I had to break them free with some twists before they started rotating again. Not sure why--I didn't send the watch in like that. Just gotta dig out the manuals now to remember how to set the time on both the watch and co-pilot, and put my settings back the way I had them.

$675 or whatever poorer, but this year's service done. Will see when I'll have to do it all again!

Club Member #0070

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:40 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Chris-

I got my Airwolf back last week, was also surprised at how fast the turnaround was. When I brought the watch in initially, I brought with it the service manual, but the AD said they weren't going to send it in, that it's all documented electronically now. That's all good and fine, but like my flight log, or my car log, I like to keep a tight record in my hands. Kind of wish they had taken it and stamped it at least. Next time, then.

Your Airwolf looks great.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Recurring update. Sure enough this last summer my co-pilot starting flashing again, a little under 2 years, and it's now been dead for several months. So, I have to go through this all over again to send the watch in, just to replace the freaking battery. Will see how much $$$ it ends up being this time around, and what else Breitlilng says they have to do with it.

I have worn the Airwolf VERY little these last two years, as I've retired from the Air Force, have been looking for a new job, wearing other watches, etc. I got another aviation job though, so I want to start using the Airwolf again as a daily wearer, including having the co-pilot display GMT.

Club Member #0070

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Update 1 on this 2016 service, having to do this every other year. This one will require a basic service for the watch head ($195) and complete service for the co-pilot module ($200). Both just serviced 2 years ago, and all I really need is the battery replaced on the co-pilot module, but it's costing $395 total.

Breitling not as on top of their game this time. They received the watch and sent me an invoice for an alpha-numeric serial number, for the $195 basic service. The Breitling automated service quote said the same thing. Skeptical and knowing what has happened in the past, I called Breitling--got a return call 1-2 days later, and they had forgotten to create a 2nd invoice specific for the co-pilot module, which they did. All work approved and started now, and there is supposedly a 2nd work order just for the co-pilot module now. Yet still only one automated Breitling service number, which on the website still lists only the watch. The service rep promised me a call when they are done with the work and ready to ship back.

I do get a laugh at the condition they list for the watch upon receipt, every time. No matter how great the watch looks, they make it sound like it was beat with a hammer. "case scratched, dented. watch face scratched, crown scratched, pusher scratched and dented"... etc. :) Like I said, the watch has hardly been worn the last 2 years. Makes it a tougher pill to pay $400-$700 every other year to own the watch in working condition, whether I wear it or not. :)

Club Member #0070