The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:38 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
I'm not an expert in vintage Breitlings. I had the opportunity a while back to get this one and so I did, not knowing if it is a true one or not. What do you guys think? I know that opening the back and displaying the movement would probably be a good help, but I'm not a watchmaker and I don't think I have neither the tools nor the knowledge how to do it.

Any opinion is welcome, even if it tells me it's a fake. At least I'll have gained knowledge...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:41 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
aleister wrote:
I'm not an expert in vintage Breitlings. I had the opportunity a while back to get this one and so I did, not knowing if it is a true one or not. What do you guys think? I know that opening the back and displaying the movement would probably be a good help, but I'm not a watchmaker and I don't think I have neither the tools nor the knowledge how to do it.

Any opinion is welcome, even if it tells me it's a fake. At least I'll have gained knowledge...

OK - happy to help, it's a horrible attempt at a vintage Breitling and I feel compelled to offer you $10 to take that monstrosity off your hands :!:
:wink:

I'm joking of course, it looks real to me, although I'll defer to Paul to provide more details (Santa has been instructed to deliver the 2007 printing of the Richter book and I'm suffering until then).

The model number is not one I'm familiar with (V125), and the key with this type of watch is the mechanism - is it the right mechanism for the watch, is it original (vs. made up of replacement parts from potentially newer calibers). Paul can probably give you an idea of the age from the serial number, but it looks like a 40s / 50s design.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
The front case and dial look ok but the back numbers look like someone with a shakey hand did some work with a electric engraver. The V125 makes no sense and the serial number, if it's real, would indicate early forties manufacture. The fact that the back cover appears to be gold in the pics would make me want to take the cover off to see if the watch is 18k. The gold symbols will most likely be inside the back cover if they're there and maybe some other information we can use. Breitlings with gold back covers are usually 18k. The movement would help date it too but it's probably a Venus 170.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thank you very much for the answers so far. I'll try to see if I can take it to an AD so that they can open it and take some pics. I'll be back when I have that information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I had it opened today. The back looks more like brass or yellow metal, and there are no signs on the inside that it would be gold. Therefore, I didn't take any pics of it. The inside/movement looks like this:

I can't see any "Breitling" engraved anywhere, but maybe they didn't do that in the 40's? (Although my personal feeling says it might not be accurate...)

And another one, from a slightly different angle:

Any thoughts are well appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:59 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
A gold case should be stamped 0.750 18K on the inside of the back if it was gold - it's possible it was a plated watch where the plating has worn - not sure what they used as the base metal in those days. Honestly though the 'odd' model number might be an indication that the caseback is a replacement.

I'm not even going to try and comment on the movement - I'd just create more things for Paul to correct me on, but don't take the absence of the Breitling name on the bridge as a bad sign - it isn't necessarily the case, and if it is early 40s as the serial suggests then I wouldn't be concerned about the lack of the name on the movement.

Whether we are looking at a real Venus 170 - let's wait for Paul, his knowledge, and his copy of Richter to opine.

My offer of $10 still stands though. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Definetly a Venus 170 movement as I thought it would be. It could be an original Breitling with a replacement back cover. It's hard to tell for sure. There is one little thing I noticed with the movement. If you look at the two movement retaining screws that hold the movement into the case (around the movement/case connection) you will see someone has installed a little adapter on each screw to help keep the movement tight in the case. First time I've seen that and it might only be because the correct head size screw was missing or that the movement wasn't original to the case. Anyone's guess I suppose. In conclusion I don't think anyone can give you a definitive answer about authenticity. My major issue would be with the back cover and with the printing on it. I would be very suprised if that came on any authentic vintage Breitling. I can't find any major issue with the movement or case so I say wear it and enjoy it. :)

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Many thanks to Paul and Roffensian for all help. The thought that the back cover has been replaced have also struck my mind.

Sorry, Roffensian, I think I'll reject your offer and go with Paul's suggestion instead - to wear it every now and then. :D

But, before that, it'll go back to the AD to get a proper strap - the existing one is not original.

Again, many thanks!