It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:25 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
:arrow:

Last edited by carpark on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:24 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Welcome! I really hate to speculate but this piece looks like a fake simply because I don't believe that Breitling made a square chronograph. That said, the engraved case back looks too new and amateurish. The chrono button is crooked. The concentric dial is usually reserved for round faced chronographs. I have never seen that case applied to a Breitling chronograph. I hope I'm wrong on all counts but perhaps Paul can chime in here to assist.

Best,
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:28 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I should also mention that the engraving on the bridge of the movement looks new as well. Very often, dubious watch sellers will engrave anything they want on the movements just to sell the pieces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Joseph wrote:
Welcome! I really hate to speculate but this piece looks like a fake simply because I don't believe that Breitling made a square chronograph. That said, the engraved case back looks too new and amateurish. The chrono button is crooked. The concentric dial is usually reserved for round faced chronographs. I have never seen that case applied to a Breitling chronograph. I hope I'm wrong on all counts but perhaps Paul can chime in here to assist.

Best,
Joe

I'd have to agree with you Joe. However Breitling did do square chronographs and they're reflected in Richter's Breitling book. They didn't look like this one though and had two registers. I saw this one when it came up on ebay and thought it looked a little strange. I'm not sure if it's really a chronograph either. The script writing on the back and movement appear to have been added. That single pusher just doesn't look right either. If it had any chance of being authentic I would guess it was from the thirties by the case design and it was rare to see a Breitling piece that old with 'Breitling' enscribed on the bridge. The movement appears to be a Landeron version which I've never seen 100% proof was ever used by Breitling.

Paul

Post subject: thanks guys
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:13 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

:arrow:

Last edited by carpark on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
I guess tossing it back on ebay as the real deal and an inflated price.

Paul
http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-rare-square-BREITLING-SS-monopusher-chrono-watch_W0QQitemZ110200235637QQihZ001QQcategoryZ31387QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:35 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Good catch Paul - I have no idea what would make that watch worth $4k even if it was (is) genuine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:00 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

That's awful! I hate to think that someone may get rooked. Unfortunately, this happens all the time on Ebay and the problem is getting much, much worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:09 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Joseph wrote:
That's awful! I hate to think that someone may get rooked. Unfortunately, this happens all the time on Ebay and the problem is getting much, much worse.

Agreed, and I absolutely hate the 'buy it now or best offer' approach. By presenting such an inflated price someone is going to come along and offer what they think is a ridiculously low price of (say) $1k and still get ripped off.

I find that the prices of vintage watches are still low enough that people aren't nearly as careful as they should be with purchases of items whose provenance and authenticity is virtually impossible to prove.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:51 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I also agree with you, Roffensian. The Buy it Now option is particularly devious but what else can you expect of someone with such a dubious reputation. It looks like he has had three offers thus far so he's being choosy. I simply hate the idea of someone, who may not have much disposable income, buying this piece as a gift for someone else and proudly giving it to them, only to be told that it isn't even worth the strap! I've reported to Ebay sellers like this in the past, however they seem to do nothing about it and junk like this is all over Ebay! [/quote]