It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Breitling ref.? fake
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:19 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Rex Lex wrote:
As far as I know, there were only two Venus 170 models made with round pushers: ref. 174 and ref. 175 (if there were others, I am just not aware). Since this is clearly not a ref 175 (which has a rotating bezel), I figured it would have to be an early ref. 174 (if its Breitling at all). In other words, it was only by process of elimination that I said it is an early ref 174.

Vintage, can you post a photo of the case back of your 174 above?

Unfortunately this 174 came to me missing the back which is why it's a parts watch. I agree with your assessment above which is why I lean a bit more to the OPs watch not being authentic. I've had many different brand watches with the same Breitling ref and serial number sequencing and not all of them are stamped with a different brand name. For example with the ref 175 I've had a Breitling, Crawford, and Clinton version all marked the same way. That's also the case with the more abundant ref 178. Now I don't remember ever seeing a ref 174 like that but, like the ref 175, I usually only find them by accident or pure luck not by looking for them. Like Fred said, there are early Breitling models not stamped with a ref number and they are very difficult to authenticate but any intangible, like a questionable dial, is usually enough for me to look further. You can look at the script 'Breitling' on the OPs watch and see it's not the same size as the ref 174 examples above. One variable makes me curious and another, like the case, makes me pass. Now if someone comes up with another that looks like the OPs watch I'll probably change my mind but that's everyday life in the vintage world. We're all still learning.

Rex Lex likes this post.