It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cosmonaute 809
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:59 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hi all,

A colleague came up to me at work yesterday and asked about my watch (I was wearing the one discussed here viewtopic.php?t=57682 ).
He said he had a similar one.
I asked him to bring it in and I've attached some photos here.
It’s a 60s Cosmonaute 809 but a few things caught my eye so I thought I’d share with you guys and I’d appreciate your thoughts too if you have the time.

The lume has blackened and the outer ring of the slide rule has darkened and faded.
He told me that the previous owner had stopped wearing the watch after cracking the crystal and put it in a draw in the 80s where it stayed up until a couple of years ago. I guess being stored with a cracked crystal allowed moisture ingress.

The replacement crystal is incorrect.

It’s a shame about the loss of lume in the minute hand but the case is wonderfully sharp.

Crown and pushers look to be original to me.

The printing of Cosmonaute is quite low down on the dial. Is this normal? I’ve been unable to find other examples with this exact configuration.

The outer bezel is the beads of rice kind but I’d expect to see that on an earlier watch. Again, is this normal?

And finally the text on the caseback is pretty wonky. I haven’t seen that many so I guess that’s just sometimes how it was.

No movement/ serial number pics yet but I’ll post them soon.

He’s keen to have the watch serviced and a correct crystal fitted so I was quick to recommend Craig (chronodeco) since I sent my 806 to him (after recommendations here) and was so happy with the job he did servicing that.

He’s keen to keep it in his family. It was his Great Grandad’s who bought it new and used to work in aviation - servicing planes in the UK.
Apparently lots of his work mates had Cosmonautes too.

Thanks,

David.

Attachment:
4.jpg
Attachment:
7.jpg
Attachment:
5.jpg
Attachment:
3.jpg
Attachment:
2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Cosmonaute 809
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:13 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
Looks fine to me. Lots of variation in dial layout back then, but I don't see anything sinister about yours even though it's uncommon. Shame about the actual dial damage though - no recovery from that really. Serial number would be good - should be around 1963 according to the published observations.

davten likes this post.
 Post subject: Re: Cosmonaute 809
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:16 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
buddman wrote:
Looks fine to me. Lots of variation in dial layout back then, but I don't see anything sinister about yours even though it's uncommon. Shame about the actual dial damage though - no recovery from that really. Serial number would be good - should be around 1963 according to the published observations.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply David.
I enjoyed spending time with the watch. Always great to see different examples and compare.