Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Which Navitimer to buy?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:00 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I have always loved vintage Navitimers but have not had the financial means to even consider buying one until now. I have spotted a couple and I am not sure which to go for so I hope for some guidance from this forum.

The dealer has kindly sent a load of photos which I wanted to share with you and hope you could assist on my first ever purchase! I have been looking into this for a while and I am worried about buying a fake or watch that has been messed with. Also, the movements on both of these look dirty, should this be of concern.

Finally, any idea on what I should be paying for either of these? I like both but I think my preference is for the later one with the black bezel.

Hopefully this link to the photos in dropbox will work out ok.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cmagu16w8kya ... 9lBia?dl=0

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:34 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
the gold plated one seems to have a much older (BOW) movement in a newer gold plated case

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:00 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
the gold one also seems to have some dial damage around the lume markers. dont particulatly like the reused 809 caseback but IIRC that has appeared before.

As an aside, these are 2 very very different watches (in materials, look, size) and I'm surprised that you would have narrowed your choice down to decide between these two. I think If your goal was to buy a "vintage Navitimer" you'd be after a stainless cased 806? Doesn't look to me like you're sure what you want yet given the very different styles..... Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:05 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Thanks for your input. I am trying to nail my first purchase down and I like the Navitimer style. In fact I think it's the chronograph style I like and I relate the Navitimer to that style. When I really think about it, having something that people will see on my wrist as recognisable but then different and unique on closer inspection is apealing. It's what puts me off the modern Breitlings.

I was drawn initially to the earlier chronographs from the 40's due to their uniqueness but got sucked in by the more recognisable Navitimer style and liked the idea of buying from a recognised auction house finding the above highlighted examples. You have both made me really think!!

What were your thoughts on the general condition? They look dirty and unloved inside.