Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:13 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Good evening all,
By way of a quick introduction before posing my question, I am an amateur watchsmith, somewhat obsessed by watchmaking and horology but in particular by vintage Japanese watches. My main preoccupation is restoration and servicing of vintage Seiko's mostly from the 1960's but also '70's and 80's, an activity I document on my blog, which if any of you are interested to take a look, can be found here: https://adventuresinamateurwatchfettling.wordpress.com/.

So, to my question. I have recently acquired, somewhat by accident, a Breitling Top Time 2002 fitted with a Valjoux 7730.

I am guessing that this dates from about 1966. The watch case looks to be in excellent condition, as does the movement for the most part. However, the dial and index ring are water damaged, the dial retaining ring, crown, one pusher, the crystal and all of the hands are AWOL. Normally, when buying something incomplete, I would bide my time and slowly accumulate the missing bits before restoring the watch. However, my knowledge of the vintage Breitling universe is sparse to say the least, and from my preliminary investigations, I sense that to locate all of the missing parts may well be a vain hope.

I would greatly appreciate any advice, in particular either on the realistic prospect of locating at the least a correct retaining ring and hand set and whether original or alternate crown and pushers might be available. Could I, for example, use generic pushers from Cousins? Are there alternative Breitling signed crowns that would work? What about the crystal? I don't want to spend significant amounts of money on locating some of the missing pieces only to realise eventually that I will never find them all.

Any advice, gratefully received.
Thanks
Martin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:06 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
Martin - all doable but replicating exactly with original parts will be difficult.

- main hands and crowns from eBay from time to time. Haven't seen exact chrono hand,
-retainer ring -don't think you will find, but you can use an armoured crystal to hold the dial down (a work around, but does work)
- pushers from cousins -yes they fit (The 2.3mm is C9116 and the 2.5mm is C9117.) but pusher caps aren't quite as stubby as the originals, but still good.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:39 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Many thanks - that is encouraging. Given the state of the dial, I am not really aspiring to create perfection but it would of course be nice to keep it as original as possible. Perhaps I should start with the hands and see how things go from there.
Martin

buddman wrote:
Martin - all doable but replicating exactly with original parts will be difficult.

- main hands and crowns from eBay from time to time. Haven't seen exact chrono hand,
-retainer ring -don't think you will find, but you can use an armoured crystal to hold the dial down (a work around, but does work)
- pushers from cousins -yes they fit (The 2.3mm is C9116 and the 2.5mm is C9117.) but pusher caps aren't quite as stubby as the originals, but still good.