Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:26 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
Hello everyone.

It's a bit of an involved story, but following the release of the 60th Anniversary Speedmaster at Baselworld 2017 I have decided to reconcile my collection against my long established collecting guidelines. This means moving some pieces on and acquiring some others, but has also opened up the opportunity to fulfil a long held desire to buy a birth-year watch. I have done quite a bit of research on vintage Navitimers and believe this one might fit the bill from a macro level; however, while I think it might be a reasonable example, my knowledge does not yet extend to micro aspects such as replacement parts; therefore, I am seeking your opinions.

In providing your feedback, please note that I am not a vintage watch collector, and have no intention of becoming one, so I am not after an investment or vintage-collection grade watch. That said, I would like my birth-year watch to be a decent representation of the marque and not something that has been trashed: a bit of judicious polishing or brushing would be acceptable, as would the minimal addition of later OEM replacement parts. I guess what I am trying to avoid is a watch that is a Franken or a fake or so overly cleaned up that it would get me laughed out of the vintage collectors club (a few sideways glances and bit of gentle chiding would be acceptable though).

Unfortunately, all I have are these low-resolution photos from the dealer's website. I have asked for higher resolution photos, including of the movement and inside of the case back, but these have not been sent yet. If still needed by members to formulate opinions, I will post those once I get them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:06 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 137 posts
Roughly correct but the negative point is hard polishing which has rounded the sharp edges of the horns .

Last edited by saabreit on Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:08 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
I doesn't look Franken at all but the case looks over-polished at the lugs and it looks like all the lume is gone, but hard to see for sure in your images. So, a mediocre example the would not get you laughed at.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:52 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

saabreit wrote:
Roughly correct but the negative point is hard polishing which has rounded the sharp edges of the horns .

buddman wrote:
I doesn't look Franken at all but the case looks over-polished at the lugs and it looks like all the lume is gone, but hard to see for sure in your images. So, a mediocre example the would not get you laughed at.

Thank you both. I had suspected the weakest point was the polishing of the lugs, especially evident in how thin they look at their ends in that crown-side view. Lume is not really an issue for me as long as the underlying 12 and hour indices are nicely visible. I hope to get better pictures and more provenance information after the weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:02 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Tiny note of interest is that in 1964 the steel bezel flutes were a slightly different design (straight vs angled) and yours indeed does have the correct bezel.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:00 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

buddman wrote:
Tiny note of interest is that in 1964 the steel bezel flutes were a slightly different design (straight vs angled) and yours indeed does have the correct bezel.

Is that the difference between the angled \/ flutes in the top bezel of this first picture vs those straight flutes || in the top bezel of the second picture?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:31 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Yes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:35 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

buddman wrote:
Yes

Thanks for that information, I would never have noticed that. Very pleased to learn that it is correct for this watch.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:46 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

I have now received some higher resolution photos, including of the movement. I have asked for one more of the crown side so that I can better see the condition of the crown and pushers and the extend of polishing of the lugs. Any further comments are very welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:10 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

I wonder if these are servicing marks?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Top side has been heavily polished, both case lugs and bezel. Not all that unusual but it's there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:31 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
repainted and relumed hands
case polished round (bot lugs and sides)
lume removed from the dial

not the best example , not one I would consider to start building a Vintage Breitling collection

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:50 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Dracha wrote:
repainted and relumed hands
case polished round (bot lugs and sides)
lume removed from the dial

not the best example , not one I would consider to start building a Vintage Breitling collection

Thank you, but as I said in my original post I am not wanting to start a vintage collection - I'd just like a birth year watch that is reasonable and honest. Truthfully, vintage collecting is so fraught with pitfalls that it is only for those that are much braver than me. So many watches have have had work done and replacement parts added, so I set my sights on something that is middle of the road in terms of condition, provenance and price. Do you think this watch fits that bill?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:03 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

It depends on the price. You shouldn't be paying a premium for a watch that is not in premium condition.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:54 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

buddman wrote:
It depends on the price. You shouldn't be paying a premium for a watch that is not in premium condition.

Yes, I completely agree. I do not want a valuation, as price is my responsibility to determine and negotiate. However, it would be helpful to have a band for a mediocre, good and excellent watch. Would you put a line in the sand between a good vs premium example?

Anyway, last picture I need from the seller attached, which clearly shows the rounding of the top of the lugs. Clearly, this watch is middle of the road, with major faults being the over-polished case and the re-lumed main hands. That said, I think the dial, pushers, crown and caseback are pretty honest. The bezel is OK too.