It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 810 hunt
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:05 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 5 posts
Hi,

I wanted to introduce myself. I feel like I've just been hijacking posts in the week since I've joined the forum. I love vintage watches especially chronographs. I have been interested in them for just a couple of years. I started with a Wakmann triple date... well actually a Swiss Army captains chronograph:) but the wakmann was my first "real watch" that started me off!

The watch I most want is the 810 top time panda with the silver dial and dark registers.
I go in phases, search around a lot for a month or so, then stop for a while etc.
A couple of years ago I feel like they came up more often but I didn't have the funds to pull the trigger on any. Or lost a few in eBay bidding.

I didn't know the difference in the mk1 and 2 cases and dial and hand configurations until reading Fred and other people's responses. I think I saved myself from almost buying an incorrect 810 from chronotrader. I did recently buy an 815 that has some issues that are talked about in the Franken ID section. It is beautiful and I will enjoy it until I can upgrade to the 810!

I just was wondering in anyone had advice on where to look for an 810?
And wanted to say thank you for the information that i have picked up in this small amount of time.
I know when I'm feeling desperate is when I'm most likely to make a mistake. When I get hooked on a specific watch and want to rationalize why it is a good deal etc!

Thanks

Post subject: 810 hunt
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:59 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I was also in your position looking and searching for various Top Times (810 included!)

Honestly, proper examples have been few and far in-between. You see a couple on eBay (mostly Franken) and also on Chrono24 (a bit better). I don't think I've seen a single 810 show up on the watchrecon enabled forums.

If you're patient then continue looking. If you have the means ($$) then I'd start putting out WTB posts as well as letting some dealers know what you're looking for. You'd be surprised how small this community is and how gracious and helpful everyone can be when they are a fellow collector looking for their grail.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: 810 hunt
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
Chente wrote:
I just was wondering in anyone had advice on where to look for an 810?

advice ?
all the usual sales sites, auctions sites, advertising sites , every 10 minutes and hope one is offered that is to your liking
if you do that for a few months I am sure you will have found one, on the other hand, as these are in such high demand you may not find one during that time and it may take longer (or shorter)

aint it fun ? hunting for rare and unusual watches that are in high demand ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:01 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Yes maybe it's a silly question, I just need to wait and watch as much as possible.
And find a way to stop feeling desperate!
I've seen a Universal Geneve that looks just like a top time 810 in a gold plated case. It was said that the watch was made by Breitling for UG?
Does anyone know about those and if they were made with stainless cases as well?
I'm sure they may be very hard to come across as well...if they even exist!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=50743&hilit=universal+geneve+810

Chente likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
Chente wrote:
I've seen a Universal Geneve that looks just like a top time 810 in a gold plated case. It was said that the watch was made by Breitling for UG? Does anyone know about those and if they were made with stainless cases as well?

since I own one of those gold plated UG's , and took the pics in the thread Fred linked to , I can say I am pretty sure these were made by Breitling for UG and as far as I know , or rather , as far as I have seen , these where not made in SS but GP only . So far we've seen a handful of these models and as far as I recall they were all in gold plated and that is how far my limited knowledge reaches