It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Whats this worth please?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:11 am 
Contributing Misery Guts
Contributing Misery Guts

Liked in: 1 post
This is the previous advert -

I bought this here late last year but haven't worn it a great deal, so here we are. A beautiful Breitling Navitimer 806-36 from 1968. Thanks to the previous owner for some of the following information (I'm no expert!)

The 36 suffix of the Navitimer 806-36 is interesting as this is not a 'regular' Navitimer 806. Navitimer 806's in this lovely condition are rare enough, but for a very short period (one or two years I believe) Breitling manufactured Navitimer's with Valjoux 7736 movements- probably due to the demand for Navitimers outstripping the availability of the Venus 178 movement. Whatever the reason, the 806-36 is subsequently a rare version of a relatively rare watch.

Closer inspection between regular 806's and this model finds that the sub dials are slightly larger on the 806-36. It retains the Breitling double wing logo.

Time Keeping:

This watch has been serviced by a well respected watchmaker (Graham at Superlative Time) and retains over a year of its 2 year service guarantee. Superlative Time claim that the accuracy of the watch is ~10 seconds per day.

Condition:

The watch case and slightly domed glass are in fantastic condition, with no scratches or dings or marks or anything that would suggest the watch is anywhere near 45 years old. The lume has obviously degraded over the years leaving a wonderful vintage look that is consistent around the dial- and like the lume the markers and slide rule insert all have a consistent and lovely patina. The hands have faded and I believe they are original to the watch, along with the slide rule and everything else! The slide rule itself functions perfectly.

The black Breitling strap is in excellent, used condition. A previous owner has carefully punched another hole in the strap to fit smaller wrists, and the buckle is Breitling, and is also in excellent condition. The watch has a 41.5mm case size.

I have a new strap for it and I would factor in a service as it hasn't been worn for a year

Pictures -

http://imgur.com/g2cZeDh

http://imgur.com/Nar8r6t

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:48 am 
Contributing Misery Guts
Contributing Misery Guts

Any thoughts guys?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
lovely piece, but the Valjoux 7736 (still?) achieve lower prices than the Venus 178 - and "worth" is quite different if we are talking about dealer asking prices or auctions results, roughly between 2.5-3.25k $/€

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:48 am 
Contributing Misery Guts
Contributing Misery Guts

Just looking for a quick sale price in £ Fred. Thanks for the input appreciated.