The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:24 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I came across this auction https://www.ebay.com/itm/222337881464 and it got me wondering if examples like this are worth the work and money to repair them? I like the idea of saving a rougher piece rather than just buying a perfect example, especially because I'm not look to resell my watches. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
They're easier to restore when they're completely original. That one has a redone outer scale but otherwise isn't too bad. If you can live with the irregularities these are still good purchases but it still won't be cheap and the cost to restore is going up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:26 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

robinsta wrote:
I came across this auction https://www.ebay.com/itm/222337881464 and it got me wondering if examples like this are worth the work and money to repair them? I like the idea of saving a rougher piece rather than just buying a perfect example, especially because I'm not look to resell my watches. Thoughts?

This one isn't too bad in my opinion. The dial looks original and the case isn't overly polished. The caseback has been polished greatly to cover some damage but I think the greater concern will be the slide rule and possibly the balance (note how the regulator has been turned all the way to the left to slow the watch down. I would note also that the beat corrector has also been turned all the way to the left so maybe the hairspring needs to be turned by the collet a few degrees).

The slide rule appears to have been redone at sometime and the numbers are a little fuzzy. The wrong crystal is on the watch though and this just magnifies that issue. Still the price with four hours to go is not bad at all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:51 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
is it cheaper ? only if you have the parts already
is it worth it ? that depends on the final price it sells for

On this particular one , unless you have a *very* competent watchmaker willing to take on some of restoration work (ie repainting and reluming the hands to a good level) the work/parts/prices you're looking at are :
- finding an all black sliderule ring (be prepared to outbid a load of other people) $200-$400
- better (undamaged) dial $300-$500
- better hour and minute hand $150-$250
- service movement $350-$500

so in my estimate you're looking at $1000-$1650 on top of the purchase price to make it a better watch , how much better ? , that depends on the quality of the parts you're able to find

p.s. even though I am not bidding I fully expect the current $1250 highest bid to double or even triple before the auction is over

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Dracha wrote:
even though I am not bidding I fully expect the current $1250 highest bid to double or even triple before the auction is over

Ditto. I can't believe ten years ago I was buying these for $150-$250.

Dracha likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
it went cheap @ $2K USD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:23 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

vintage wrote:
Dracha wrote:
even though I am not bidding I fully expect the current $1250 highest bid to double or even triple before the auction is over

Ditto. I can't believe ten years ago I was buying these for $150-$250.

Are you sure? :wink:

(Here comes a story...)
Nine years ago I bought my first Navitimer, an 809 Cosmonaut which had a damaged dial and terribly scratched caseback, for $1300. The year previous, I had lost out on a quite nice 7806 which went for $1900 and before that an all black 806 in which my max bid was $2000. Back then I really had no idea what made one a collector's piece and the other a nice vintage watch.

My second Navitimer I purchased in December 2015 for $2500 which I consider pretty good price although the slide rule isn't original and the lume has darkened. The third was $3500 in March 2016, although it was a few years older and in much better shape than the one purchased in 2015.

I would love to see a historical price index for these things. The price has certainly gone up quite a bit in the last ten years but I wonder when I would have had to enter the market to nab one for under $500.