Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:15 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 5 posts
Hi,

This is my first thread. I couldn't find the answer to my question online, so I will ask it here.

Breitling made Cosmonaute 1809 with Cal. 11 in the early years and later with Cal. 14. There was also a GMT version, which used Cal. 14.

I could not find any information on how the 24hr display was achieved with Ca. 11, however, for Cal. 14 Breitling used an additional 24hr wheel (part nr. 255) on the top of the hour wheel (2558). Now the hour wheel (2558) on Cal. 14 was different than those used in Cal. 11/12/15. The difference was that the part (2558) had a thinner shaft. It make sense because if they would have put another wheel (255) on the top of the regular hour wheel (2558), then it would become too thick and needed a massive hole in the dial.

My understanding is that the difference between Cosmpnaute Cal. 14 and GMT is the height of the 24hr wheel (255). The GMT version was shorter to give space to install the 12 hour hand on hour wheel (2558). The GMT hand went on 24hr wheel (255) and the 12 hour hand was installed on hour wheel (2558). But in the case of Cosmonaute, the height of (255) was the same as the hour wheel (2558) and so the 24 hour hand was installed on 24 hour wheel (255). I hope you could follow me so far.

Now there are cosmonaute hour hands for sale online. They are described as being made for both Cal. 14 Cosmonaute and Cal. 14 GMT, which doesn't make sense at all, because logically the GMT version should have smaller hole, while the Cosmonaute version should have larger hole. Or am I missing something?

I have attached a photo, which I borrowed from the site http://thewatchspotblog.com/?p=4587 to make it easier to understand the issue.

I would be thankful if the experts would shed some lights on this topic.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
no 1809 should have a cal. 14 - these are GMT variations of the cal. 12 (early versions of the 2115 had the same added complication, but the movements were still not marked correctly).

1809 hold modified cal. 11, 112 & 12, just like the original Cosmonaute 809 hold modified Venus 178, none of these movements are explicitly marked.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:43 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Fred, Thanks for chiming in, but my question is specifically about the "hour hand hole sizes". Why should a GMT hour hand fit the Cosmonaute?

Why are there a few different hour hands with different hand hole diameters? What was the hand hole diameter on modified Cal. 11/12 for Comonaute?

I have attached a photo of two different hands for Cosmonaute and GMT but I couldn't say which one would fit which model or if they would fit any of these models? Are there information on the hand hole sizes of these specific models?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by chrono-matic-guy on Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:47 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I am going to add the following information, I have found out in my research in the past few days, so that if someone also looks for that information, he doesn't need to invent the wheel from scratch.

I spoke to a Watch Maker with expertise on Chrono-Matic watches, who actually have converted some Cal. 12 to Cal. 14. As I had expected, the answer to my question was that "The Hour Hands" on Cosmonaute and Cal 14 GMT have different hole diameters. I explained above that in the cae of Cosmonaute the Hour Hand goes on the 24hr wheel (255), However, the Hour Hand on GMT goes on the regular 12hr wheel (2558). Since (255) is sitting on the top of the regular hour hand (2558), 24hr wheel (255) has to have a larger hole. This information is also VALID for Heuer GMT. The hands on GMT have a different hole diameters than regular Cal. 11/12/15.

Further information on the difference between a regular Cal. 12 and Cal. 14 is that since the (255) goes on the top of (2558), it increases the distance from the main plate to dial and so the Chrono Wheels need to be longer on Cal. 14/GMT to accommodate the Chrono Hands. It might also be the case that the dial rest part number 145 on Cal 14/GMT is thinner than those used on Cal. 12/15 to fit the whole thing in the same case that houses Cal.12 Navitimer movement and Cal. 14 Cosmonaute or GMT movement. So the case is the same size, hence, they have to keep the height of the movement and dial the same for Cal. 12 and Cal 14.

It would be perhaps a good idea to make a file on this extremely rare watch (Cal. 14 Cosmonaute/GMT) and add all know-how from different sources for the future use. It would be too bad to let them become obsolete, because there are no knowledge on fixing and keeping them alive. These are just too beautiful creature to die out.

WatchFred likes this post.