The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:15 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
well, so I'll answer questions and not comment.

should have noted the restoration has already been done, would not have commented - and certainly not "crucified" anyone; still a pity you haven't asked for advice before choosing that step.

Nick; yes the watch is still worth quite a bit more than you've spent on the "restoration" work.
the "Breitling" above the wings indicates this watch was sold through their sales network and not through AOPA, most probably the wings shield does not bear the AOPA letters; this dial is far from unusual.

@TheGanzman - no, you too would not have been crucified and great to hear you enjoy wearing that Navitimer, should you ever want that new lume to have the right "vintage feel" and still be perfectly legible, here's a thread that shows such a restoration. You'll notice buddman too wasn't crucified, he's still with us to comment in this thread ;)

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=61298

Last edited by WatchFred on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:48 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
Thanx again,

I just located the email, below, that I forgot all about & to which we decided against responding, & get a clean new look.

Our sincere apologies to the aficionados.

Thanks for solving the riddle of the words on the dial & yes no AOPA written.

"......Please confirm that we should keep the existing dial and replace the luminous hour markers only. To keep the look consistent, we would probably not completely refinish the case, just a cleaning and mild refinishing. Best regards....."

If it would interest anybody I could post a photo when the new one arrives. ......nick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:17 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Well it's unfortunate that the repair may have had an impact on the value of the watch but I can certainly understand the desire to return the watch to it's former glory.

After pining for one for many years, I treated myself to a Navitimer when I first solo'd. I didn't have much money at the time and had to settle for a Cosmonaut model (not a big deal when you need to keep Zulu time) with a damaged dial. I promptly sent it out for service which included a dial refinishing. I was ecstatic when the watch was returned to me. It was a beautiful tool that would someday be a family heirloom. In a pinch it was my E6B flight computer.

Unfortunately I didn't have it for long before I sold it to help pay for my wedding. It was nine long years before I finally got another! This one has an original dial but blackened luminescent paint. I'm sure that a few decades down the road I'll pour the money into it to ensure that my daughter has bauble as well as an heirloom.

I hope there are many good years left in your Navitimer nichos. I think the restoration of your watch is really only a detriment if you had it done of the purpose of resale. Otherwise you've essentially have a brand new watch.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:42 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
nichos wrote:
If it would interest anybody I could post a photo when the new one arrives. ......nick

Oh yes, count me as one of the interested. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:39 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
Thanx again all,

our new Navitimer arrived. Note it is still wearing it's protective sticker with red lettering. ....nick

"........It's still a 1963 Navitimer. I know a lot of purists would say not to change it but the dial was not readable and was bent. Despite what some of the chat rooms say we have not seen any decline in "value" with actual sales that have been made after this type of restoration work has been done.
We hope your daughter enjoys wearing it......."

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MeowChow likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:37 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
nichos wrote:

"........Despite what some of the chat rooms say we have not seen any decline in "value" with actual sales that have been made after this type of restoration work has been done. ......."

I think its charming that someone would try to tell me (a collector) that work performed on a watch does not impact the value a watch has for collectors ;-)

Other than that the watch came out as I expected , wearable but it has lost a lot of its value.
I am also sure your daughter will wear it with pride

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:46 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
even more charming are the "chat rooms" ;)

Nick; wear the watch in health & pride !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:05 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 42 posts
Dracha wrote:
nichos wrote:

"........Despite what some of the chat rooms say we have not seen any decline in "value" with actual sales that have been made after this type of restoration work has been done. ......."

I think its charming that someone would try to tell me (a collector) that work performed on a watch does not impact the value a watch has for collectors ;-)

Other than that the watch came out as I expected , wearable but it has lost a lot of its value.
I am also sure your daughter will wear it with pride

I like that use of the word 'charming'. :D