Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Breitling Ref 178
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:08 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi, I am new to this board, as I am new to owning a Breitling watch. I always liked the style of the watches, but could never afford one, until I started to be more confident in my understanding of what can and cannot be (un)done with watches and acquired this "well used" example.

So i recently acquired the attached watch. Hands and movement (breitling signed venus) are all in good shape and working, dial and casing not so much. The case will need to be brushed and chromed and the dial will unfortunately need to be brushed and reprinted. I cannot imagine the person who did this to the poor thing.
As I will be trying to stay as true as possible to the original and not create something else, I would very much appreciate your help with the original dial and everything else that comes to mind.

From what is left It seems to me, that the dial only had the numbers 3 and 9 written on it and 1,2,4,5,7,8,10 and 11 were indicated by "I", but I am not able to find another picture of a dial like this on the internet (or have not been able in the past week, will continue to look). Most of the 178 dials you stumble upon on google seem to be reprints to begin with (indexes print over subdials, etc).
Also most of the 178 refs seem to have the non-luminous hands. What dial would be appropriate for mine? Can anyone help out? Were the indices filled with lume?

Attachment:
dial.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Breitling Ref 178
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:28 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1728 posts
178s were avaliable in lume and non-lume variations, lume dials always had lume hands.
sadly refinishing the dial will typically ruin it for good.

Last edited by WatchFred on Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:36 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thank you for the info, i am glad to hear about the lume, as I would like to have lume on the dial. Normally, I would rather accept an imperfect dial than a reprint, but I think that in this case, there is not much to save...this is one of the cases, where i believe that, sadly, the damage has already been done.

I will try and wash off the marker pen and see, but I recon that this one will be better of with a fresh print. However, I would not be here, if I wouldn't be willing to take constructive advice. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 185 posts
In my personal opinion, I believe that any money you spend on this watch would not be well spent (rechroming the case). And reprinting the dial obviously elimintates any residual value. You would be far better off searching for a decent condition 178 which are generally affordable. just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
davedc74 wrote:
In my personal opinion, I believe that any money you spend on this watch would not be well spent (rechroming the case). And reprinting the dial obviously elimintates any residual value. You would be far better off searching for a decent condition 178 which are generally affordable. just my 2 cents.

Agree. You'll spend more money than it's worth. Always start with the best example you can afford.

Waynepjr1 likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:19 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

While I understand what you say, I was hoping that this would not turn into a philosophical debates on what restoration is legit and what isn't, you have to ask yourself on the flipside, if you believe that the watch is not worth saving.
I am writing from the east of Europe, so all work necessary (reprint, rechrome, relume, service) can be realized for about 250 USD, and in quite good quality as well. I have seen some terrible work from UK shops, so don't take that as a reference.

Assume for a moment that I might like the watch more than an off the shelf one, as I actually have to put effort into getting there...and saving them from people, who would just throw them away, looking for a better one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 185 posts
It wasn't a "philosophical" debate -- just the contrary. It was finance, plain and simple. But if this is your idea of "saving" the watch, by all means, go for it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:30 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
JakobB wrote:
(reprint, rechrome, relume, service) can be realized for about 250 USD

unless you bought the watch <$400 it is my personal opinion that $250 is the max you should spend , I do not believe a 'restored' (reprint, rechrome, relume, service) is worth more than $650

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:38 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Well there is always watches, that can go both ways. What would be your idea of saving this example? Just cleaning it and wearing it as an daunting example of what should not happen to watch? I am considering that option as well....

Yes, I did not pay more than 300 USD.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:43 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Let's post some more pictures, so you get a better idea of the (poor) state.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.