The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:05 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
Hi forum members. Brand new to the Breitling world and need some advice on a 769. I discovered this watch in a junk box of my dad’s who has since passed some 16 years. As fate would have it, after my mom passed, it was discovered by the only one of their 7 children who had any appreciation of watches, namely me. I never even heard of a 769, but started researching and was delighted with what I had found. The serial #696077 seems to date the watch to the mid 1940’s. I found it with a loose bezel and a loose bezel ring. My dad liked to visit flea markets and thrift stores and probably found this 769. He was a tinkerer and when he couldn’t attach the crystal and bezel tried to attach it to the dial with crazy glue. There are small dots of glue in the periphery of the dial at the 7,9,10,11,12 and 1:30 positions. The watch runs for short periods of time and then stops. The pushers don’t seem to have any effect. I believe the movement, which is marked Breitling Premier, is a Venus 175 and obviously need a complete service. My main concerns are 1) The glue on the dial and 2) How do I attach the bezel.
I know acetone will dissolve the glue, but will it destroy the markings on the dial and, if so, then what do I do? I would like to get some info on how the mechanics for attaching the bezel work. It’s not the bezel type that uses screws, but for the life of me, I don’t know how it’s supposed to attach. Any advice from the members of the forum members would be greater appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:31 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
Post photos.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:35 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

https://ibb.co/ccWjvGh
https://ibb.co/dP7ng8r
https://ibb.co/Mfs5gqt
https://ibb.co/fYH7qtz
https://ibb.co/V3XP5Ky

Here are pics.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:46 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
It sounds like you have followed in your father’s footsteps with regards to tinkering; however, on this occasion I would suggest you leave this to a professional. Dials, especially old ones, are notoriously delicate and that one looks to be in nice condition despite the glue. I'd hate to think of the damage well intentioned enthusiasm might do.

I'm no watchmaker, but it is possible the bezel is held on the case with a bezel spring or washer that may be missing from your watch.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:31 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for your input arcadelt. My watchmaker has not been in to work do to sheltering in place do to CODID-19 here in New York. Therefore, I thought I would do as much research and get as much info as possible about the glue removal from the dial and the bezel mechanics while waiting for his return. I appreciate any and all information I can get from the forum members. I know that I’m tapping into a resource of incredible knowledge.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:32 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 52 posts
If you plan to keep and wear the watch, I'd just leave the glue dots on the dial and have a watchmaker reattach the bezel. I think they tell a great story of your dad if you leave the glue intact, and it would probably do more damage if you tried to remove them.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:45 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Leaving the glue was a consideration as long as it doesn’t compromise the function of the watch or the reattachment of the bezel. It’s nice to hear that others besides myself would consider this and it would make for a great historical account in the history of this 769. Thanks for your comment Nihon_Ni.
Can anyone who has viewed the pics comment on the correctness of the watch? Also, when I was looking up the serial number, I noticed that the serial numbers cut off before this watches serial number was reached.I wasn’t sure if this was a normal occurrence.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:34 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
watch is correct and actually in quite nice condition (minus the glue, of course)

would suggest to send it to a watchmaker who has experience with the Chronomat cases - excellent option in the US is Mark Heist of horologicalservices.com, the official Breitling Vintage Service.

Waynepjr1 likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:14 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks WatchFred! Value your feedback as I see from browsing the Breitling Forums that your opinion is highly regarded. Would you have any info on how the bezel attaches to the case of the watch? Looking at the pics you can see I have the bezel, the bezel ring and the case with movement. Am I missing a part(s) or does the bezel and bezel ring just wear out? Thanks again for chirping in!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:15 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 48 posts
Contact Saabreit. Forum member. There is a bezel ring that is usually missing which he has in the past manufactured. I bought one from him off ebay for mine. I don't know if he has any more but worth asking.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:56 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for responding donmenzies. I sent saabreit a PM over a week ago, but he has not responded.
I am trying to get information about how the bezel attaches to the 769. I was told that my watch may be missing the base bezel, but can find no information for this. Do you perhaps have information in regards to this? I have the case, the bezel and a ring with a separation in it (see pics in my second post from May 15th).
The watch dates to 1946-47 as best I can tell. The bezel from this year 769 does not use the bezel retaining screws as in the earlier years. Any help you could off or from another forum member would be greatly appreciated?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:33 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Don is correct - Phil make the attachment kit fit a Mark2. I’ll pop Phil an email and see if he can post here.

Last edited by buddman on Sat May 30, 2020 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:08 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Phil says he has now Contacted Eyedoc and can indeed help on the repair.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=64342&p=442490#p442366

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:24 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks buddman! Yes, Phil did contact me.
Much appreciation!
I must say that I am always so impressed with
all the help that I get from my brothers in the watch community!
Thanks again to all.

davedc74 likes this post.