The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:17 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Hi all. What is the general consensus on having vintage cases re-plated? Only as a last resort? Will it affect the collectibility and value in a similar fashion to having a redial?

Below is the case for my 2nd Ref. 178 that I'm putting together. It, to me, is screaming for new plating. I'm hesitant though because good correct vintage pieces get more scarce each year, and I don't want to destroy the value by plating it if in fact that's what it would do.

Let me know your thoughts on this, both pro and con. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
Hi Dave,
Personally I would first have the piece serviced and plexi replaced
then put a nice strap on it and wear it for awhile . If I really grow to dislike the way it looks I would re-plate it
personally I like watches that show a history and the patina that goes with it , once you replate it all of that history is gone
I realize that I might be alone in this but the 'no turning back' would make me hesitant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:45 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I agree.

This may ultimately be a lost cause, but it will look like a different watch with a new crystal and a clean so try that first.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:49 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
Dracha wrote:
Hi Dave,
Personally I would first have the piece serviced and plexi replaced
then put a nice strap on it and wear it for awhile . If I really grow to dislike the way it looks I would re-plate it
personally I like watches that show a history and the patina that goes with it , once you replate it all of that history is gone
I realize that I might be alone in this but the 'no turning back' would make me hesitant

:yeahthat
It took me a long time to come around but the imperfections of the vintage watch are part of its charm.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:41 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
I don't think fresh chrome would ever look good with the original dial and hands. It ain't that bad. A new crown would probably be better that that old thing, which looks beat down hard. Is it functional?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
If it's otherwise a keeper I would plate that one in a heartbeat. Every time you look at it it's going to bother you. Don't think about what the next guy that owns the watch will think and just do what makes you happy. Imho this ones too far gone to live with.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:34 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Thank you for the input, guys. I have never had any of my vintage watches plated as of yet. I've had one other case I tried to home plate, but that was a cheap one that didn't matter one way or another how it turned out.

I'm on the fence with this one just because it's a Breitling. I'm more worried about continued deterioration than how it will look on my wrist. Will it be fine as is to wear without major concern? Is there anything other than keeping it clean and dry and less frequent wear that I can do to preserve its condition?

For now, I think I'll get the watch all together, put in new glass, and possibly a better vintage crown. Then have it fully cleaned and serviced. We'll see where she is then and reevaluate. I'll post up more pics when she's back together.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
sounds like a smart way to go, there is very little u can add to the current damage; see how you like it; if you are looking at theoretic resale value I would think this watch would not be a real "collectors item", neither is it very scarce nor in outstaning condition, you might well have an eaier time selling it replated; for personal use I would probably leave it well alone.