Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:10 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 78 posts
I found one that is in line to take 1st place

NOS 1955 Valjoux 72 AOPA Navitimer with box & papers.

It is likely to be the most interesting Navitimer I have ever bought, and it is the only NOS Valjoux 72 example I have ever seen or heard about.

The corrosion on the hour hand as been caused by the Raduim painted in inside.

A little more then 2 month ago I was contacted by the owner who asked me to call him by phone, which I did right away. He lives in Piedmont SD, and he had a lot of questions about originality, value, rarity etc. etc.

The watch was purchased in 1955 as a gift to his grandfather who was a hunting guide in Wyoming, and was then passed on to him when his grandfather died in 1967. It has never been worn.

I obviously showed interest in buying it immediately, but the owner had no hurry in selling it, and wanted to did deeper into it, which I agreed would be the best way to determine the value, all I asked for was to get a shot at it before he sold it to somebody else, which he promised me.

And what is a watch like that worth, well – its worth what somebody is ready to pay and I would never let go of a piece like that.

After 2 month of waiting (and a few phone calls) he just recently got back to me, and I bought it, he was very happy in knowing that it will now become a part of my collection of vintage Navitimers, and we completely agreed that it is the right place for a watch like that, much better then selling it to a broker / dealer that was just in it for the profit.

As you can see the certificate is Breitling (and not Wakmann / AOPA). Until now I have always believed that the first AOPA Navitimers could only be bought by members of AOPA, and only through AOPA.
As you know Wakmann was the sold distributor of Breitling watches in the States back then, and the box is indeed also Wakmann, why the certificate is Breitling is an open question and it is the first Certificate like this I have ever seen, as it is also the first Box of this kind I have ever seen.

As far as the family knows the grandfather was never involved in flying, but it is of course possible that the person who gave it to him in 1955, somehow was.

I bought it 12 days ago and have been waiting for confirmation that it had arrived to where it has been sent before I posted it here, it came 5 minutes ago, and I have also had confirmed that it is NOS, it shows no signs of use / wear whatsoever, it has been sitting in its green box for 57 years, patiently waiting for me.....!!!

/ Kurt B

Ps / Sorry Rene, but winner takes it all, the price you were not ready to pay wasn’t too much IMO, but then again as I wrote above, seller promised me a shot at it before he sold it to anybody else, so if it makes you feel any better you would never have had a chance of getting it anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
Kurt B wrote:
Ps / Sorry Rene, but winner takes it all, the price you were not ready to pay wasn’t too much IMO, but then again as I wrote above, seller promised me a shot at it before he sold it to anybody else, so if it makes you feel any better you would never have had a chance of getting it anyway.

no hard feelings at all , I made an offer in December at the same time you and the watch dealer contacted Barbara, she made a counter offer that was more than I was willing to pay :D

Great piece Kurt , congrats !

p.s I just sent you an e-mail ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:57 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 11 posts
I am speechless, this is an absolute stunner Kurt, congrats. I knew when Rene posted that watch that it would be sold in the blink of an eye if it had not already been. This 55 has the "Broendum Breitling" style dial too, correct?
So Kurt, this watch deserves a place in your Navi article no doubt? Time for an article update,
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:57 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Amazing condition piece and great pick up Kurt - congratulations.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
Congratulations, absolutely breathtaking, you hit the mother lode with this one. THE Broendum Breitling !

Last edited by WatchFred on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:23 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
A lovely catch Kurt. Moments we live for as collectors.

BTW - was your article published?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:16 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 0 post
Congrats....There's still gold in South Dakota !!
But you got the last :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:34 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 78 posts
Yaffle wrote:
A lovely catch Kurt. Moments we live for as collectors.

BTW - was your article published?

Yaffle,

No, it has not been published, and to be honest I doubt very much that it will ever happen.

I have done what the British Horological Journal asked me to do, and that was a lot, but there's nothing I can do in terms of pushing them towards the promised publication.

Time will show, but I'm getting tired of waiting and will soon tell them.

/ Kurt B

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:54 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 11 posts
Kurt, hopefully they do soon. Am sure there are similarly outstanding horological societies like the American ones that might be interested in your research too esp because of the AOPA connection.