The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: very nice Datora 785
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:48 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 11 posts
Dracha wrote:
I was just offered another good example slightly under 4600 euro's
too bad ive spent my budget for this year already , so I need to save up some more :(

Is the sliderule type outer ring removable/replaceable? Also has it been over polished or is that how they are?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:08 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

A pic of the Rolex equivalent:), more numbers on the subdials and double dial markers. Also no numbers for the hours except for "12". Offcourse at 100K plus I guess depending on condition. This ones not perfect since has some of the lume on the hour markers of the dial fallen off.
http://jewelry.1stdibs.com/jewelry_item ... p?id=55397

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
as far as I am aware the dial is all 1 piece

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:36 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Dracha wrote:
as far as I am aware the dial is all 1 piece

Thanks Dracha!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:46 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Btw this Antiquorum one had the wrong hands I guess.
http://images.antiquorum.com/256/full/26.jpg

Also did all 785's come with the v72c movement or did some have Venus movements?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
i think some have may had the venus movement , but I am not quite sure . Fred probably knows

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:45 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Thanks Dracha, also in the examples we have here why are the numerals not placed exactly, comparing all 3 watches, see that some numbers are placed or overlap the subdials at different places compared to the other watches, example no.8, was this normal? See in the last ebay watch link the no.8 doesn't overlap much (isn't cut off) the subdial much or could it just be an illusion because of the angle am viewing the different pics at and there is no difference? See others numbers too (no.4). Thinking the Antiquorum one is the offender?

download/file.php?id=13779&mode=view
http://images.antiquorum.com/256/full/26.jpg
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BREITLING-18 ... 930wt_1401

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
Dracha wrote:
i think some have may had the venus movement , but I am not quite sure . Fred probably knows

Fred "knows" little, because quite a lot of the Datora information available might be tainted by MichaelTheSages wishful thinking, he has been spamming several forums with links to his Datoras.

Richter and "The Book" state that the 785 had a Venus191 version, apparently this was used after 1951, we see some references to a ref. no. "785D" for those on the caseback, although the documented examples look quite crude ?

The Valjoux Datora use caliber VZ for the 784 and VZHC pre1945, these caliber names are changed to 23c/72C around this time, the 72c lives on to become the 730.

The 785s on the web I found until now outside the MuseumLounge that claim to have a Venus 191 show no movement or caseback pics, so do not convince me enough, still looking for confirmation.

http://www.farfo.com/menswatches/Page3/ ... atora.html
http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/chr ... ad;id=1368

regarding dial and hands, the Datoras (and the Chronomat, 765s etc. of this period, these show a lot of variety, would deserve their own thread) had different combinations of these, as far as I have seen combining the lumed hands like the Antiquorum example with lumed dials or the thin baton hands with non-lumed dials, some w/ raised numerals.

Edit: @Roff, just saw that a 785D made it to the Breitlingsource models section http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_de ... d_110.html, do you have some more documentation and movement/caseback shots of this one ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:47 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

WatchFred wrote:
Dracha wrote:

Fred "knows" little, because quite a lot of the Datora information available might be tainted by MichaelTheSages wishful thinking, he has been spamming several forums with links to his Datoras.

Richter and "The Book" state that the 785 had a Venus191 version, apparently this was used after 1951, we see some references to a ref. no. "785D" for those on the caseback, although the documented examples look quite crude ?

The Valjoux Datora use caliber VZ for the 784 and VZHC pre1945, these caliber names are changed to 23c/72C around this time, the 72c lives on to become the 730.

The 785s on the web I found until now outside the MuseumLounge that claim to have a Venus 191 show no movement or caseback pics, so do not convince me enough, still looking for confirmation.

http://www.farfo.com/menswatches/Page3/ ... atora.html
http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/chr ... ad;id=1368

regarding dial and hands, the Datoras (and the Chronomat, 765s etc. of this period, these show a lot of variety, would deserve their own thread) had different combinations of these, as far as I have seen combining the lumed hands like the Antiquorum example with lumed dials or the thin baton hands with non-lumed dials, some w/ raised numerals.

Edit: @Roff, just saw that a 785D made it to the Breitlingsource models section http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_de ... d_110.html, do you have some more documentation and movement/caseback shots of this one ?

Thanks for that interesting info Fred, so all the 3 dials are correct, right? Would be great if there was a breakup of the different dial+movement breakups for the 785 over the years. 785 were made from what year till when? Any idea how well these sold in their time and had any waterproofing?

Last edited by cruvon on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:05 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Not sure where admin got that one from, I suspect that there are no other shots.

There are definitely legitimate Venus powered 785s, I'm not convinced on the 785D though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:25 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Roffensian wrote:
Not sure where admin got that one from, I suspect that there are no other shots.

There are definitely legitimate Venus powered 785s, I'm not convinced on the 785D though.

Saw a 785D here, sort of looks very strange to me compared to the other 785's
http://www.chrono24.com/en/breitling/ur ... /index.htm

Edit: Saw it is you guys famous German friend;)

he's got this one too
http://www.chrono24.com/en/breitling/da ... Findex.htm
and
http://www.chrono24.com/en/breitling/da ... 947926.htm

what's even funnier, he writes this where he states these watches run from $1,500 up to $10,000 depending upon the brand and case material and then prices his at 30k+, 15k and 12k, he didn't know what he's copy pasting in his ads from somewhere?;)

Quote:
When I hear the term Dato-Compax my first thoughts are a Rolex 1950's reference 6036 triple date calendar chronograph watch. This is the nickname of one of the most sought-after complicated Rolex watches. The Rolex Dato-Compax is quite rare and to find a nice example in today's market, it would cost north of $100,000. In the last six months I have been acquiring other brands such as Wakmann, Heuer, Gübelin, Universal, and Angelus with the same dato-compax feature as the Rolex. These brands typically are powered by the same movement as in the Rolex, which is the Valjoux caliber 72c. The cases of these brands seem to be top quality made of either steel or gold. The dials are of the same quality of the Rolex if not better.
Not only are these watches very attractive and collectible, but they are a great long term investments, especially if you buy top quality condition. The range of these watches run from $1,500 up to $10,000 depending upon the brand and case material compared to the Rolex at $100,000 to $150,000.

Last edited by cruvon on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:36 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Just ignore anything of his, it's easier.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
cruvon wrote:
Thanks for that interesting info Fred, so all the 3 dials are correct, right? Would be great if there was a breakup of the different dial+movement breakups for the 785 over the years. 785 were made from what year till when? Any idea how well these sold in their time and had any waterproofing?

yes, I think that all three dial and hand combos are ok for the 784/785 Datora and apparently produced concurrently beginning from the mid 40s. Did not look into the question about latest production dates, will try to do this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:58 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

WatchFred wrote:
cruvon wrote:

yes, I think that all three dial and hand combos are ok for the 784/785 Datora and apparently produced concurrently beginning from the mid 40s. Did not look into the question about latest production dates, will try to do this.

Thanks Fred.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:01 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

A question on 785's, there were three types of materials used, stainless steel, gold plated and 18k gold, correct?

Edit update: Sorry meant 785, not 765

Last edited by cruvon on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next