The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:43 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 20 posts
If you look closely at the number 10 on the sliderule you will see that there are a red square around it, almost worn away, but it's there, so I believe that the sliderule is original.

The crystal is not original, but any watchmaker can replace it with one that fits.

/ Kurt B

I can see what Kurt suggests with the faded red square on the sliderule, I have seen examples with the no 10 red square on the black face and no 10 red square on the sliderule but I have never seen an example with both on. Have any of you seen that?

Thanks Phil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
You will find a nice example in Kurt Bs Navitimer article, a must read for any 806 collector:
http://www.watchlife.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=144

and one on my wrist:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:41 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Fred, that is a stunning example I hope to get mine up to that standard. The red bits look to have a luminous quality about them also or is that just a trick of the light. I have emailed Craig and await his reply

Once again thanks

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:31 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Quick question chaps, as my watch is at the jewellers and I am after a strap for it, can somebody tell me right size needed for this

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:41 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Supermoto wrote:
Quick question chaps, as my watch is at the jewellers and I am after a strap for it, can somebody tell me right size needed for this

Thanks

Lug width is 22mm. Taper will depend on the buckle that you have on it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:10 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Thanks Roff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:19 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 11 posts
Congrats, that's a beauty!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:39 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Right chaps help needed again, I'm on the lookout for a box, (outer and inner) to house my Navi (when I eventually get it back) can any of you help, please pm me if you have any offers (sorry if this post is in the wrong place)

Thanks Phil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

are you looking for a period correct vintage box or a "normal" modern box set. Huge differences in funds and patience needed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:25 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I am torn with this really, I'm loathed to pay the prices asked on Ebay for what is after all just a box, I've been putting offers in and it goes against the grain (I'm a bit of a tight bugger) to pay higher than £75. I am not totally sure what the box should look like for a watch on my age (any pics would be welcome). I shall carry on searching I suppose there isn't much of a rush and I can always keep it in my watch strap box . Just as an update to whats happening with mine, it's still at the jewelers, it's having the movement serviced ( I have asked him to take some pictures of the movement when it is stripped down as I am fascinated by the engineering and craftsmanship involved I hope he remembers to do this) and the casing polished (keeping the lugs sharp) it's also having the face swept and a new crystal put on, once done I will have my new Breitling strap put on it. Then comes the question of what to do with the face.

I will post more pics when I have it back and I dare say you fellows can help me decide on the face then

I'm getting pretty bored waiting

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

sorry, Supermoto, but the 75 pounds for a period correct Navi box are wishful thinking, I´m afraid. There are several types, mostly brown patent leather (from the US apparently) and yellow carton from Europe afaik, prices typically are between 150 and 250.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:53 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 11 posts
Supermoto wrote:
I am torn with this really, I'm loathed to pay the prices asked on Ebay for what is after all just a box, I've been putting offers in and it goes against the grain (I'm a bit of a tight bugger) to pay higher than £75. I am not totally sure what the box should look like for a watch on my age (any pics would be welcome). I shall carry on searching I suppose there isn't much of a rush and I can always keep it in my watch strap box . Just as an update to whats happening with mine, it's still at the jewelers, it's having the movement serviced ( I have asked him to take some pictures of the movement when it is stripped down as I am fascinated by the engineering and craftsmanship involved I hope he remembers to do this) and the casing polished (keeping the lugs sharp) it's also having the face swept and a new crystal put on, once done I will have my new Breitling strap put on it. Then comes the question of what to do with the face.

I will post more pics when I have it back and I dare say you fellows can help me decide on the face then

I'm getting pretty bored waiting

I would say if boxes didn't come with the watch there is no point paying for them separately since it would not be the same as having them originally from the watch. Also if possible I would avoid polishing the case, an unpolished watch is always more desirable even if shows some use from over the years, that's what adds character to the watch. What do you mean by having the "face swept"?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:12 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

You can see on my pictures that there is a lot of debris on the face, sliderule and sub dials, I am told that having the face swept just means gently getting rid of the debris by squirting compressed air at it. I am hoping that this may also bring my red box up a bit. With regards to the polishing I think it will be more of a damn good clean rather than taking every scratch out

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:20 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
here 1 (1 of a few I have seen) type of box that was period correct for the half to late 60ies Navi's

Breitling embossed on the outside

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:51 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Thanks Fred, Dracha and Cruvon.
Right then, the box, I think you have helped to make my mind up, I am certainly not going to pay that sort of price for a box, yes it would be nice to have a box to match the period for the right price but to me it is becoming less essential now. I do have the booklet as shown in your picture.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next