Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 0 post
Hi All,

I'm actually after a new Breitling but saw this and I'm feeling tempted...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0238217185

Is this real (it looks in very good condition for its age) and what would be a reasonable price?

Apologies if this has already been discussed - I looked but couldn't find anything.

Cheers,

Mark

PS Great forum by the way - I'm impressed by the level of expertise round here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:39 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I'm working blind here as I am at work and don't have my books to check, but given the timeline on the auction I thought I'd better reply anyway.

The watch looks right to me, and clearly the seller is reliable. I don't see any obvious problems with it, and it is in very good condition (so likely restored).

The price isn't going to be a bargain - $1,165 as I look at it now is getting close to all the money for this - likely a premium for the condition.

Bear in mind with a vintage piece that, it won't be as accurate, it won't be as resilient and it won't be as big as a current piece.

That said - it's a nice one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks for that Roffensian and I appreciate the quick reply (I should've mentioned the fact that the auction's running out).

Given that it all looks legit I guess I'll have to make a decision sharpish - I've been thinking of going for a Skyracer and only considered this due to the fact it's a lot cheaper. I also want something that'll be fairly timeless (if that's not an oxymoron for a watch...) and this Top Time seems to have kept its looks really well.

They're very different watches though, which sort of makes it harder to choose between them.

Thanks again pal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:00 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Just took another look, hopefully not too late to be useful.

I still don't see anything alarming - the movement looks right for a Venus 188, but I think that the bridge is a replacement - not quite the right shape for 188s that I have seen.

I'd like to be able to see the serial, that's the one thing that is a little odd - we get a good picture of the movement out of the case, but not in the case (to confirm fit) and no closeups of the caseback with model and serial numbers.

If it were my money, I think I'd pass, but I couldn't give you a solid reason why - just gut feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Absolutely not too late to be useful: it's funny though because I had just convinced myself not to go for it so thanks for making me think I made the right decision!

It was the cheap price more than anything that attracted me and I think I'm better getting a newer piece. Besides, if I change my mind there'll always be other watches.

Thank you so much for your help on this though - it's great to have a forum where people are evidently so knowledgeable and nice with it.

Cheers,

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:02 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

mister_mustard wrote:
Absolutely not too late to be useful: it's funny though because I had just convinced myself not to go for it so thanks for making me think I made the right decision!

It was the cheap price more than anything that attracted me and I think I'm better getting a newer piece. Besides, if I change my mind there'll always be other watches.

Thank you so much for your help on this though - it's great to have a forum where people are evidently so knowledgeable and nice with it.

Cheers,

Mark

You're more than welcome - what use is knowledge if you can't share?

There are plenty of nice vintage pieces out there - just do your research, look for the warning signs and feel free to check specific pieces. Oh, and if you haven't read it on here already - steer clear of Argentinian watches.