It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Military Breitling
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:11 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi Guys,

Again your expertise about a watch. Does anybody know a link to Breitlings that were used during ww2.

Regards
[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:30 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Can you provide more details?

What exactly are you looking for - watches issued to aircrew by various airforces or just pilot style early 40s watches?

There are a lot of watches on the Bay that claim to be 'WWII' watches simply because they are 40s era. I am sure that there are some officially issued ones (Breitling made clocks for many aircraft of that era), but I don't know of specific models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:39 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
Breitling lived during WWII on selling Boardchronometers. As far as I know, the watchproduction was reduced during that periode.

BG
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:44 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Alien wrote:
Breitling lived during WWII on selling Boardchronometers. As far as I know, the watchproduction was reduced during that periode.

BG
Thomas

Definitely - you still see the cockpit chronometers come up occasionally, but for obviosu reasons many did not survive.

There were still quite a lot of war time watches produced - I'd have to check the guide for actual numbers, and you do tend to see a lot of watches on eBay described as WWII military watches - largely because they have black faces and a more rugged / less dressy look. No indication that they were ever official military issue (although I'm sure some were) and many of them have serials that match to post war production.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Roffensian wrote:
Alien wrote:

BG
Thomas

Definitely - you still see the cockpit chronometers come up occasionally, but for obviosu reasons many did not survive.

There were still quite a lot of war time watches produced - I'd have to check the guide for actual numbers, and you do tend to see a lot of watches on eBay described as WWII military watches - largely because they have black faces and a more rugged / less dressy look. No indication that they were ever official military issue (although I'm sure some were) and many of them have serials that match to post war production.

I have never seen a WW2 Breitling with any countries military issued markings on the back. Breitling did have their own aviation/pilot watches in the thirties that may have been later issued early during the second world war but without any sort of military markings on them. The thirties watches were pilot watches by design and most had oversize crowns to facilitate use when wearing gloves.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:59 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Good to see that you're still hanging around Paul!

My father flew Lancasters in WWII (as navigator) and they carried Breitling clocks. I asked him whether he remembered any aircrew being issued any particular watches and he couldn't. Now granted he is well into his 80s and it was over 60 years ago, but as a navigator I'm guessing that he would have been one of the recipients.

He also made the point that in his experience the vibration, etc in even a pristine aircraft made clocks a lot easier to use.