Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:37 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
Roffensian wrote:
Already gave you my thoughts pre-purchase.

You'll need to see what the watchmaker says, but I like the design. Never been particularly sure about these non metal cases, but it's a key part of Breitling history.

:yeahthat

I was looking at some of these for a minute too but these non-metal cases make me... shall I say "nervous"? :D

It's a looker~ nice pick up

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:37 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 7 posts
Your on a hot run at the moment Sonyman! Not my thing really but nice pictures all the same. :wink:

Cheers

Super Avenger(White)

Moved on:
Montbrillant Legende(Silver)
Panerai 312

SOHC 125th Ann. LE(Silver)
Navitimer World(Pearl)
Panerai 441

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Roffensian wrote:

You'll need to see what the watchmaker says, but I like the design. Never been particularly sure about these non metal cases, but it's a key part of Breitling history.

Inform me a bit here if you don't mind. "Non-metal" case? Exactly what is this case made from and why is it such a key part of Breitling's history?

The pending history lesson aside, the watch is interesting and I wish you the best of luck with it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:26 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Iantheklutz wrote:
Roffensian wrote:

Inform me a bit here if you don't mind. "Non-metal" case? Exactly what is this case made from and why is it such a key part of Breitling's history?

The pending history lesson aside, the watch is interesting and I wish you the best of luck with it!

The case is made of a composite material that is 'plastic like' - I think it's actually resin based. The bezel is steel as normal. The watch was designed to be a sporting watch and the case was designed to be lighter for use by runners or similar athletes.

The watch is an interesting part of Breitling's history in my opinion (not intended to be a definitive statement) because it is an unusual case structure. The early 70s were a tumultuous time for Breitling - they were striving to find an identity against the quartz invasion from Japan and they were desperate to find some kind of differentiator that would allow them to protect and restore their market share.

That they were prepared to invest in these composite cases, and the work necessary to develop them, at such a financially tough time is significant to me. Of course it was one of many failed attempts and the company went bankrupt in the late 70s.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:33 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Iantheklutz wrote:
Roffensian wrote:

In the early years of Breitling they made various watches for specialized markets, Yachting was one and sports was another this case is made out of a resin type material that was designed to keep weight down so runners could time themselves acuratley without having to worry about a heavy watch, Its just part of the history and adds provanence to the watch rather like the moon landings do to a speedie.

off the web

This watch was designed for runners (hence the name "Sprint"). Being specifically made for runners, Breitling decided to make this watch very light in order for it to be more comfortable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks Roff and sonyman. Interesting. I'd expect if the material were resin based, that some sort of degradation could be expected. Maybe some brittleness over time as the plasticizers leach out?

I've always loved these watches from the 60's/70's because they are at once gorgeous and hideous, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:52 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Iantheklutz wrote:
Thanks Roff and sonyman. Interesting. I'd expect if the material were resin based, that some sort of degradation could be expected. Maybe some brittleness over time as the plasticizers leach out?

I've always loved these watches from the 60's/70's because they are at once gorgeous and hideous, IMO.

I don't have much practical experience, but there have been some suggestions that the casaes are less stable than when new.

Hideous - well there are orange versions :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Roffensian wrote:
Iantheklutz wrote:

I don't have much practical experience, but there have been some suggestions that the casaes are less stable than when new.

Hideous - well there are orange versions :lol:

Orange Brown Blue & Black in fact

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Iantheklutz wrote:

Just be glad it's not Bakelite. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:15 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
I actually have one of these in that same colour. I got it about 2 years ago as NOS. Runs really well and has that cool, 70s look. I haven't noticed any brittleness or discolouration to the case.

I love the square-ish shape to the case, matched with the circular dial. It is very light: feels about the same on the wrist as a titanium aerospace. I'm really happy with mine; great for those days when you want something less bulky.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:19 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Novacastrian wrote:
I actually have one of these in that same colour. I got it about 2 years ago as NOS. Runs really well and has that cool, 70s look. I haven't noticed any brittleness or discolouration to the case.

I love the square-ish shape to the case, matched with the circular dial. It is very light: feels about the same on the wrist as a titanium aerospace. I'm really happy with mine; great for those days when you want something less bulky.

I cant wait to get it back its so cool looking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Here's another one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-vtg-BREITLING-sprint-watch-100-GENUINE-2016-1972_W0QQitemZ170435693544QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL?hash=item27aec24be8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:00 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

vintage wrote:

cheers Paul i will have to keep my eye on that one as it will give me a good idea how much mine would fetch