Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:40 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
All

I recently inherited a Breitling watch that was owned by my uncle. With his passing all information pertaining to the watch was lost. I would like to know more about it the watch for personal reasons. I have not been able to find anything on the internet nor was the retailer in Toronto of any help. The only information I received was to keep it running as parts are no longer available.

It is a quartz watch from what I think would be the 70’s. It has a simple face with no numerals on the face just indicators and no complications outside of the day/date. At the top of the face is the stylized B than BREITLING than GENEVE above the dial and Quartz below the dial. It has a day indicator using the German SON for Sunday etc. and date indicator. It has a stainless steel case with what I believe is a series number of 9001. It also has what appears to be a 7 digit serial number: 1 003 815. Lug width is 18

The most similar watch I could find is a TransOcean circa 1964. (Vintage section timezone.com item #12 My watch differs from the attached photo in that it is Stainless Steel and has the day/date complication.

The attached picture is from the vintage section of timezone.com

Thank you

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:57 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Like this?

Don't have my Richter book in front of me so can't look it up in there, but that is from the Israeli site that has been linked on here before which states it dates to 1980. Paul may respond, if not I'll look it up in Richter this evening and see if I can find out more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:48 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
That is it, except mine has a silver face. It is a rather handsome watch if I say so myself. Thank you for looking that up for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:43 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
The serial number dates it to 1965, which clearly it isn't, so I'm thinking that it is definitely post 1979 when the original Breitling company was bought out and serials became unreliable as a dating method.

I can't find 9001 in the book, it may be a model number, it could also relate to the quartz movement - sorry I think I'm done and we need an expert on early quartz watches.